• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook Syncs but No Photos

del2484

Nov 19, 2009
A decent number of my contacts are syncing with facebook but there are no photos associated with them. When I click on their facebook account through the contact card their profile doesn't show either their profile picture or any of their photo albums. Most of my other friends are syncing and properly showing pictures, but for some reason a fair number won't display any pictures. Anyone else having this problem?

The problem isn't that the contact isn't syncing with facebook. It is. When I click on the person's name their facebook account comes up. I'm talking strictly about their profile pictures. There are certain people who won't display a profile picture or any of their albums on their facebook page.

Upvote 0
i've found that contacts will sync if the names are the same, and for the most part, pics will sync too. however, sometimes the pics still won't sync.

for example, i have a fb friend named "John A. Smith". that's what it says at the top of his fb page. so i enter "John A. Smith" into google contacts, and the info syncs, just no pic. but when i changed the name in google contacts to "John Smith", boom, picture shows up. this happened to me a few times. i suspect it has something to do with the name the person used to sign up for fb originally, which i think you can change later to display on the page. i think you need to know the exact name they used when they originally signed up.

but that's just speculation on my part.

hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
i've found that contacts will sync if the names are the same, and for the most part, pics will sync too. however, sometimes the pics still won't sync.

for example, i have a fb friend named "John A. Smith". that's what it says at the top of his fb page. so i enter "John A. Smith" into google contacts, and the info syncs, just no pic. but when i changed the name in google contacts to "John Smith", boom, picture shows up. this happened to me a few times. i suspect it has something to do with the name the person used to sign up for fb originally, which i think you can change later to display on the page. i think you need to know the exact name they used when they originally signed up.

but that's just speculation on my part.

hope that makes sense.

Interesting theory, but I don't think that's it. I have people who I know have changed their name (i.e., got married, thought vinny twist was a fun name for some stupid reason, etc.) and their photos show up under the new names. I'll try deleting and re-entering.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that on contacts where the picture does not sync, if I look at the person's profile with the native facebook app I can't see their picture there either. I'm hoping that since it's a native app it will also be magically fixed on 12/11.

In other news, anyone else starting to feel like Dec. 11th is becoming a religious holiday? I'm gonna go write some OTA carols.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones