• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook work around

Not sure how many of you have Facebook or Use Facebook in general, but I was sick of dealing with the Facebook stock app. So here are the steps I did and have real time Facebook / can reply and all that... Not sure if this is the forum to use.. but regardless just wanted to put this out there for everyone.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Accounts
  3. Click Facebook
  4. Remove Facebook account
  5. Install Facebook for Android from the Market
  6. Sign in and setup your Facebook account.
  7. Download F+ off the Market
  8. Install, setup, you can choose whatever time you want it to check for Facebook notifications and such.
  9. You can even reply with this program, GREAT GREAT tool.
  10. Now your probaly wondering how your going to sync pictures to your contacts.. well the next step will fix that for you...
  11. Download SyncMyPix from the market
  12. Install, and it will sync your pictures to your contacts as long as Names Match.
There you have it, for people that wish Facebook App was more like the one for Blackberry and such, this will get you real time notifications and no facebook contacts in your contacts.

Any questions comments or concerns let me know... Or the settings I use I'll be happy to post.

I've been a lurker for a year now, finally joined the forum =)

have you found a way to link your facebook calendar to your dx? i tried where it said to add it to your google calendar by adding the url but it woudlnt work

Let me look around in my notes, I had this issue and had to fix it as well on my Blackberry Storm 2, when I had it.

I believe you have to download the link from Facebook, and add it to your gmail calender. It takes a bit for it to sync though I know that.

Have you tried using Pure Calender? That maybe a option also for you.

check it out on the market place.

Upvote 0
have you found a way to link your facebook calendar to your dx? i tried where it said to add it to your google calendar by adding the url but it woudlnt work

Only way I have stumbled upon that I knew of, was exporting birthdays & events... mainly...

You can use the App from the Market, called Facebook Event Sync

or

You can use F+ which will notify you of Birthdays if that is what your looking for...

Not sure what else you would use Facebook calender for...

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Correct, when removing your facebook account from Account in settings, they will be removed.

I did that, cleaned up my contacts dramatically. I had found the sync tool earlier. I also changed the browesr so that it thinks it's a desktop and now get the full facebook site for the desktop which I like alot.

I have the LPP FB Widget and I'm stoked now.

All y'all have incredible knowledge and the stones to try things, I appreciate it.

Two weeks into this experience and it just get's better :D

Upvote 0
I did that, cleaned up my contacts dramatically. I had found the sync tool earlier. I also changed the browesr so that it thinks it's a desktop and now get the full facebook site for the desktop which I like alot.

I have the LPP FB Widget and I'm stoked now.

All y'all have incredible knowledge and the stones to try things, I appreciate it.

Two weeks into this experience and it just get's better :D

I'm not a big fan of FB widgets, I noticed the more widgets you use the more it slows you down.

I use the following, Beutiful Clock / Weather widget, Pure Calender Widget, Contact Widget from Stock App.

Anyway, That's what I use for now... haven't found anymore I want, and I try not to use Live Wallpaper, as I feel its a memory leak after awhile, and drains the battery.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm not getting it. The FB app that came on the DX syncs contact pics and such but there is another version on market that works "better"? Kinda like there are new versions of Youtube, maps and street view that won't show unless you manually load them? The iOS FB app works much better than the Android version (I have). I may have loaded FB from market though. What benefit is being described here? Also I did the about:debug to desktop mode but it doesn't stick permanently when you do it a second time to hide js compiler or whatever.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm not getting it. The FB app that came on the DX syncs contact pics and such but there is another version on market that works "better"? Kinda like there are new versions of Youtube, maps and street view that won't show unless you manually load them? The iOS FB app works much better than the Android version (I have). I may have loaded FB from market though. What benefit is being described here? Also I did the about:debug to desktop mode but it doesn't stick permanently when you do it a second time to hide js compiler or whatever.

The FB app from the market is the one you want to use. You can then go into Settings > Accounts > remove FB, and you will see a performance increase, along with better battery life. What you will want to do after that point, as your facebook contacts will be removed from your Contacts is download SyncMyPix, and F+, from the market. SyncMyPix will load photos for your contacts that are from your gmail or that you put in yourself. F+ will allow notifications to be seen, and replied to without having to use the mobile site, that you can setup in real time, from anywhere from Syncing every 1min, to every 6hrs or something like that.

I use both so that I have the feel as my Blackberry Storm 2 had when I received notifications / friend requests, ect.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the Facebook for Android App and I like it it well enough.
My only concern is its effect on battery life. I know it's better than the Facebook access one gets right off the bat with the Droid X BUT when I tried to log out, in an effort to try to save some juice, it said if I logged out "Logging out will remove your Facebook data from this phone. Do you want to logout?"

Uhmmm....??:thinking::thinking:

Does that mean I have to log in again or whaa?

Excuse my cluelessness. This is my first Android phone.

Upvote 0
I can't seem to download Facebook for Android from the market. It brings up the progress bar and after awhile it times out. Any idea what's going on? I did turn DX off and back on to see if that would work. No dice.

Facebook's servers are glitching today. Please try again, should work sooner or later...

Upvote 0
I downloaded the Facebook for Android App and I like it it well enough.
My only concern is its effect on battery life. I know it's better than the Facebook access one gets right off the bat with the Droid X BUT when I tried to log out, in an effort to try to save some juice, it said if I logged out "Logging out will remove your Facebook data from this phone. Do you want to logout?"

Uhmmm....??:thinking::thinking:

Does that mean I have to log in again or whaa?

Excuse my cluelessness. This is my first Android phone.

Just leave Facebook for Android logged in. As long as you have the Facebook account removed from the Accounts menu you wont be killing battery.

I can go 2 days without charging.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones