• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Face'ing Hang ups!

starogreen

Apr 20, 2010
NJ
Does anyone have problems with your face hanging up the phone during calls? I often need to hold the phone on my shoulder and cheek while chasing three kids and the phone inevitably hang up.

Is anyone having this issue?

Is there an app that will keep this from happening?

I had this happen all the time on my droid, something about long hair interfering with the sensor. Though I haven't had the problem on my incredible, I had downloaded Screen Suite Lock Screen that has an option to lock phone on call pick up that solved that problem for me, I think it has both a paid and free version. I think I had the paid version on my droid but haven't used it on my incredible to remember if the free one will also auto lock screen on call.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: starogreen
Upvote 0
Yes, this happens to me all the time. I usually either hit the mute or hang up with my face. After reading the forum and experimenting I understand why it happens on the Evo 4g.

The proximity sensors are located under the htc logo and in the center between the screen and the earpiece. However, there are no sensors next to the camera lens which is in the top right corner. So, when I hold the phone in my left hand and tilt the phone away from my ear with the back of the phone forward, it lifts the sensors by the htc and center away from my ear, and because there are no sensors by the camera (which would be next to my ear) the screen activates. Then, any touch from my face or ear mutes it, activates the speaker, or hangs it up.

A quasi solution is to hit the home button at the beginning of each call so that the phone app does not appear when the screen is activated. However, lifting the right side of the phone away from your ear will still activate the screen which uses up battery power, and your face might then hit the phone app which brings it back up and the problem may still occur.

Or, you could develop the habit of holding the left side of the phone (the htc logo) next to your earlobe. This seems to keep the sensor activated and the screen off.

Unless HTC adds sensors to the right top of the phone, a new phone will not fix the problem.

Upvote 0
Yes, with the HD Desire, as soon as I move the phone to my cheek it hangs up; just did so five minutes ago!

Anyone know an app or trick to stop this !

Might end-up using my earpiece, which is better for the brain anyhow.

:rolleyes: EDIT: just realized I can press the top button which closes the screen (while keeping the call or app online)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones