1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Facial Recognition

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jon Davis, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Jon Davis

Jon Davis Well-Known Member

Okay, finally got around to trying facial Recognition unlock.
    I know it's not secure but thought I'd give it a try.
    Nifty idea but. What a pain. Awkward and silly looking to hold your phone up in front of your face to make a call.
    Anyone use it regularly? Anyone else tried it and have thoughts?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. james98520

james98520 Well-Known Member

Tried it for a few days. Didn't really care for it as its a battery drain and as they even admit, if someone similar looking tries they'll gain access. Just how similar do they have to be?

3. Jon Davis

Jon Davis Well-Known Member

I don't think it is as easy to fool as people think. (although I'm sure it can be done.)
    It didn't recognize me with a hat on.
    I didn't go through the 'improve recognition' routine and different light conditions seemed to cause it to fail unlocking. Your face has to be centered in an oval Window.
    I know it's bad to do but trying to make a call while driving is more dangerous than making a simple swipe.

4. james98520

james98520 Well-Known Member

Very true. Yeah I took I think 3 pictures, different light, angle, and facial hair. I was able to open my phone in almost any lighting, angle, and shaven or not. But just figured it would drain my battery faster and looked like a dork holding up the phone every time.

5. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member

I heard you could unlock a phone with a photograph of yourself. I tried it and indeed I was able to unlock my phone with a picture I took and printed on an 8 1/2 by 11 inch piece of paper.

6. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert

That's why you are supposed to take more pics after you get it set up in different light, with hats, glasses, facial hair, and then it is harder to break in

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Face unlock is embarrassingly easy to break. Even the new feature they've added that requires you to blink can be tricked by Microsoft paint

Number locks aren't any safer. Access to a computer and USB cord is all I would need to get in

Basically, don't have anything on your phone that needs to be kept confidential :p

8. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert

Exactly. I don't even keep lock on my phone, just the normal slide lock because I think it's a pain in the ass otherwise. But some people's jobs require them to have a lock

9. narayanan9190

narayanan9190 Android Enthusiast

yep and some files need to be kept confidential too...i use that "audiomanager" app for that ...it works well and when you load them up in the pc, the folders always show up empty too ... wonder how that works

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews