• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory car stereo not recognizing GNex

j c m

Dec 19, 2011
I have a USB input connector on my 2011 Honda Accord. I can play and control my iPhone with the factory's stereo. When I plug my GNex into the USB input, the car stereo displays "not supported". I tried using both MTP and PTP connection types on the GNex and neither one works.

Does anyone have any idea how to make this work?

I have a USB input connector on my 2011 Honda Accord. I can play and control my iPhone with the factory's stereo. When I plug my GNex into the USB input, the car stereo displays "not supported". I tried using both MTP and PTP connection types on the GNex and neither one works.

All Acura and Honda USBs do NOT support Android connection at this time. Same for my wife's Acura tsx. Read the fine print; only support iPod and other apple stuff. Same with my 2010 Toyota Prius.

This will likely change in the next gen of audio systems from Honda and Acura. Toyota is changing for example with their Entune audio system which supports both OS.

Your best chance to use Bluetooth audio streaming if capable in your Accord or get an aftermarket headunit.

Upvote 0

Do you have an auxiliary 3.5 port in your car? That's how I connect mine to my factory set.

Upvote 0
Do you have an auxiliary 3.5 port in your car? That's how I connect mine to my factory set.

That's what I am currently using. However, the sound quality is mediocre at best. I know with my iPhone, the sound quality is much better through the USB interface than the 3.5mm input.

I'm hoping that someone figures out a way to connect the GNex to the car stereo via USB.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's going to be possible because you can't mount the phone. I have a 2012 Ford Focus with Sync and I can charge through USB but I can't play music. Playing music through bluetooth works fine though so I just do that while it's plugged in so it charges and plays the music but it doesn't show the song names or anything on the screen in my car.

Upvote 0
Yeah, unfortunately, this is where Apple has the upper hand because everything currently is tailored to Apple stuff. I am shock that '12 Ford Sync does not work with Android however. I wonder if the new Toyota Entune system will be better with GNex??

When i had my Epic 4G, i tried everything known to men to make the USB connection play music in my Prius...no go. At least with Epic 4G, there was USB storage mode. I even bought "Melodycan" which converts all music to whatever Apple uses. This was the best solution at the time because i can actually listen to ALL my music via USB with my Android phone. My Toyota NAVI actually recognized the songs on my Android phone! The problem was that i had no playlist...and that was a royal pain because i had all the songs, but no organization! I eventually junked the whole thing and went back to my Ipod for music. :(

With the GNex, there is no mass storage mode. So, this makes things even worst than my Epic 4G! BT Audio streaming is your best bet...but, unlike Apple (5.0) which can convey song title and artist via BT Audio streaming, it looks like ICS is still displaying nothing. At least, Android has fixed the annoying frequency issue with BT Audio streaming with Froyo/Gingerbread. On my Epic 4G with Eclair, there was an annoying interference with BT Audio streaming (at least with Toyota BT system) when playing songs. (My current Nexus S 4G is perfect in this regard.)

Good luck. But, my guess is that you either trade in your Honda in the near future or get an aftermarket headunit that will recognize your GNex. But, first of, Samsung/Google needs to fix the USB modes that are currently available...none of the current modes are recognized by apps, much less OEM audio systems!

Upvote 0
You can read my headache here: http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-su...-help-2010-prius-usb-bt-not-working-well.html

In the end, unfortunately, i gave up because without organization, my songs are just one clump of mess...can't play the songs or the playlist that i want.

Android phones and OEM audio just have not shaken hands yet...but i am sure that this is changing because Toyota's Entune system is apparently compatible with Android and Apple.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones