• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory Data Reset Changed My Life...

jlegelis

Lurker
Jan 5, 2010
After months of being really happy with 1.5, I ran with OTA 2.1 for about a week.... hated it! While I didn't see any outright bugs, the phone had hugely sluggish response, very poor battery life, etc. Finally decided to to the Factory Data Reset this morning, and voila - lovin' my Eris again.

Things to note:

Before Factory Data reset w/ 2.1 OTA:
- Phone uptime and awake time were almost equal (not good)
- Had the 50% without signal message
- 'Android System' always listed as top user of battery usage (60-70%)
- Even while idle, phone always felt 'warm' (like it was continually running a background process, as evidence by poor battery life)

After Factory Data reset w/ 2.1 OTA:
- Phone uptime and awake time now as expected (awaketime < uptime)
- No more 50% signal message
- Cell Standby and Phone Idle now top users of batter usage.
- Phone now cool to the touch while idle

One thing to note is even after the reset, I still had issues syncing Gmail contacts, and needed to delete the contacts cache.

While I won't conjecture about root cause, I'm hoping Google and VZ learn from this experience, as much of this mucking about is *way* beyond what most 'normal' users would put up with. My wife loves her iPhone and just laughs at me dealing with all this c**p. Besides, I can't remember the last time *she* had to reboot her phone.. :)

A hard reset sometimes is a great way of performing housekeeping for your device. Basically, make sure you have great back ups (I use HTC Sync and Lookout). When I used Windows Mobile devices, I used to hard reset almost monthly.

Only had to do 1 hard reset with my Eris. Downloaded too many apps that basically created issues. Something I downloaded caused just about every app to force quit. Fixed that issue real fast.

Always back up your data. You have no idea how many times I spoke with people and had to hard reset a device when I worked in data tech support at VZW only to find they did not back up anything. You have tools at your disposal, please use them.

Also, a soft reset is pulling the battery. A hard reset is a factory reset. So before you run down for device issues, try a factory reset on your device. Tech support is going to make you do it before they replace the device. And ensure you BACK UP! I recommend lookout. Its free. Back up Assistant is available. You really have no excuse to lose contact info.

Upvote 0
After reading a few similar posts, I think I need to do a hard reset. My phone lags worse now than it did on 1.5.

I know this is an ignorant question, but I'm nervous about losing phone numbers, etc.

Is the My Backup app good enough to save everything before I do a hard reset? That's what I use when I upgraded.

Thanks

Upvote 0
After reading a few similar posts, I think I need to do a hard reset. My phone lags worse now than it did on 1.5.

I know this is an ignorant question, but I'm nervous about losing phone numbers, etc.

Is the My Backup app good enough to save everything before I do a hard reset? That's what I use when I upgraded.

Thanks

if you log in to gmail, and check your contacts... everyone who is listed there, will automatically be sync'd to your phone after you redo it. No worries :)

Upvote 0
I did the factory data reset a week ago, two days after I did the OTA update from 1.5, and it resolved several nagging issues I was having after the reset.

I've always been really happy with my phone, figured I got one of the good ones last November. I've had very few problems. But I'm starting to tear my hair out. The battery is not making it through a day without being charged - even when I don't use it much!

Right now, looking at Settings>About phone>Battery>Battery Use I see:
Android System 45%
Camera 47%
Cell Standby 2%
Phone idle 2%
Bluetooth 2%
Voice Calls 2%

I rarely use a task killer (at least until all this started) but the thing I find surprising is that when I run Advanced Task Killer and check the list of apps to kill... the camera isn't listed.

So what's up with that? Ideas or suggestions for keeping my poor Eris alive for longer than 5 or 6 hours at a stretch will be GREATLY appreciated!

Oh, ps it WAS showing Time without signal as 50%, but after reading OTDs tests, I just ignored that, and now it says 0%. Go figure. No coverage issues, though, so I'm happy about that.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'm doing it now. My Backup is going through every app I had and asking me individually if I want to reinstall. Didn't do that when I upgraded from 1.5. Taking some time, but that's OK. I think I can tell already that the reset fixed the problems I was having. The little playing with it before I started the reinstalling went faster than before. If it works, it will have been worth the trouble.

Upvote 0
Out of sheer laziness, I did the "clear cache method" right after the OTA update and my phone was running great, but, I noticed little things cropping up.

After a Factory Reset this past weekend, I'm amazed at the difference in the speed and responsiveness! My Eris has never been snappier and even impressed my adult son, who has a Moto Droid. ;)

***jlegelis*** Finally having the Radar App load and function when I'm at work (out in the boonies) HAS changed my life because it gives me a chance to be prepared ... especially if the electricity goes out! Heck, even when I'm home, or out and about it's handy.

This is my first cell phone and I love my mini-computer! :D

Upvote 0
I did a factory reset this weekend. Everything is much snappier now.
I have a 1750 battery.
After 24 hours, this morning my battery was at 73% (it was 50% after 24 hours with OTA and no factory reset).

The only settings I have changed are setting the facebook update to once a day, and turning off animations.

I have the following market apps installed
audiomanger pro
astro
handcent
call confirm
facebook
quick settings
barcode scanner
3banana notes
pandora
spare parts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones