• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory Data Reset on Rooted, but Stock Exhibit II?

Hi! I need to sell my Galaxy Exhibit 4G, so I want to do a factory data reset to wipe it clean. I rooted it about 6 months ago, but I have stayed on stock and just frozen and deleted some of the bloatware apps. Can I just do a regular factory data reset? I am concerned because of rumors that it might brick your phone? Also, does it matter whether your sim card is in the phone or not when doing a factory data reset? My sim card is already in my new phone (a Galaxy SII bought on the prepaid Walmart deal)...

Thanks so much for your help--you guys are great!

Kristin

Hi! I need to sell my Galaxy Exhibit 4G, so I want to do a factory data reset to wipe it clean. I rooted it about 6 months ago, but I have stayed on stock and just frozen and deleted some of the bloatware apps. Can I just do a regular factory data reset? I am concerned because of rumors that it might brick your phone? Also, does it matter whether your sim card is in the phone or not when doing a factory data reset? My sim card is already in my new phone (a Galaxy SII bought on the prepaid Walmart deal)...

Thanks so much for your help--you guys are great!

Kristin

I upgraded to an S3 so I had to sell mine on ebay. Mine was rooted twice (due to the update that unrooted it). I did a factory data reset and it was fine. I my sister's phone was also rooted (no update) and the factory data reset didn't do anything to it either. I also read about bricking your phone but I just went ahead and tried it. It worked on both phones.

I took the sims out because I was afraid it might wipe the card too (But most likely not). It still let me perform the reset and wiped everything on the phone. At least I hope it did! It just had the Android set up after I did the factory reset. I wanted to log back in to make sure (Because I'm paranoid like that), but I stopped myself and didn't do it. No complaints from the people who bought my phone. I also did preliminary deleting of stray photos and info before wiping the phone just in case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones