• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Factory Reset after Rooting... boots OK but...

ilfenice

Lurker
Apr 7, 2013
Have an HTC Inspire,

rooted it a while back and was working fine. For some reason I couldn't delete some old google accounts from the Accounts menu because "some application" was still using it.

Before doing the Factory reset I used:
Titanium backup to create a full system/app backup (and corresponding .zip)
SMS backup +
contacts backup

After the factory reset, the phone boots.... took me through the normal basic config (keyboard, google account, etc). But at the 'main screen' it just shows "loading... it may take several minutes to complete, please wait" but it just sits there (over an hour now).

I can swipe the screen down and access Notification/Quick settings screens.
I can go to Settings and see running apps.

The apps, phone, customize buttons on the screen are inaccessible and the Home, menu, back and search buttons don't do anything.

if someone texts I receive the message and can reply by again swiping down and pressing in the inbound text
the phone will also ring on inbound calls and can answer.

I tried:
rebooting
battery removal, reboot
hboot menu -> recovery -> choose Titanium's zip file... but returns to the same place (even after it says Titanium has successfully restored).
Superuser is still installed and running (can see it from Settings/Apps screen)

So.....

is there a way to get it operational so i can either download apps, use the

Hello ilfenice. Welcome to the forums.

Do I understand you correctly in assuming you did not un-root prior to the factory data reset? Attempting a hard reset while rooting is chancy, at best, as to full functionality, no matter the backup methods used.

Do you want a stock, factory non-rooted device? What was your reason for the hard reset?

Now you have a device which polled the reset system for a restoration to factory condition, yet it had a root exploit and likely several other conditions that are not playing nice with the system.

You may have to really start over. ;)

I'd first go into recovery mode and do a cache wipe, two or three times. I'd then remove the battery, sim and sd cards, then put them back in and use the most trusted method there is for an un-root of the device (How to Unroot the HTC Inspire 4G - TheUnlockr), THEN do the factory data reset. :)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
are you s off? assuming you rooted originally with the AAHK,you should be s off and superCID.

i would start by running a factory ruu,so you get the stock recovery in place. not to worry,recovery and root are easily added after the ruu is complete with s off.

with the STOCK recovery in place,select the factory reset option from hboot. the stock recovery is able to wipe and clean places that a custom recovery cannot.

assuming the phone boots and is usable after this,you can add recovery and root(well get to the details of that later),but id be careful what you try and restore. as frisco said,alot of times it can be better to start over.

when i flash roms,the only things i ever restore are user apps. i let contacts sync from google,and use the oportunity to clean out sms and call logs ;)

if you want to try restoring more things,you can,but id take small steps and make backups along the way.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones