• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory Reset and grandfathered apps

airjordan223

Android Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2010
So I'm debating on doing a factory reset of froyo.

My question is what about apps like shazam, nfl mobile, etc. where they were free until recently. I dont want to reset my phone, re-download them, and then have to pay for the service I already had for free. Anyone know what will happen?

Unfortunately I would bet you will have to pay for them. That is entirely the point of grandfathering. They really do want you to pay, but they know they would get bad publicity if it was forced upon them after having been free. So, they just patiently wait until you do a factory reset, or upgrade your phone, etc. Then BLAM, they can charge you...and you don't feel like it's them that did it, but rather whatever forced you to need to reinstall.

Personally, I would look into free alternatives. I don't know those apps, maybe they themselves have useful free versions.

Upvote 0
Exactly my concern. I called big red and had the tech rep I talked with note my account that I fit the criteria for my free season of NFL mobile. Backed up my app on astro and went ahead with my reset. I hope everything works out. I'm always so paranoid about call taker promises. The reset took care of the few issues that were occurring. I had put and removed quite a few apps in the four months I've had the inc and some apps had left garbage behind when un-installed and I wanted to clean start. So far so good. This froyo makes me feel like I got a new phone but with a couple little scratches. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones