• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory reset - best method?

Sorry should have read the FAQ first! My bad :(

Is this considered the best way?

1.How can I reset my phone?

On the Galaxy S the soft-reset is achieved by pressing and holding the power button. A hard-reset can executed by pressing and holding VolumeUP+Home+Power. There you will find the options "reboot", "apply sdcard:update.zip", "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition".
The "wipe data/factory reset" option will restore your phone to the original configuration of the firmware YOU LAST INSTALLED (including any updates made via update.zip). This will NOT bring your phone back to the firmware installed when you originally bought it unless you haven't flashed your phone.

You can navigate the recovery screen using VolumeUp & VolumeDown and use the Home button to select.

Upvote 0
Sorry should have read the FAQ first! My bad :(

Is this considered the best way?

1.How can I reset my phone?

On the Galaxy S the soft-reset is achieved by pressing and holding the power button. A hard-reset can executed by pressing and holding VolumeUP+Home+Power. There you will find the options "reboot", "apply sdcard:update.zip", "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition".
The "wipe data/factory reset" option will restore your phone to the original configuration of the firmware YOU LAST INSTALLED (including any updates made via update.zip). This will NOT bring your phone back to the firmware installed when you originally bought it unless you haven't flashed your phone.

You can navigate the recovery screen using VolumeUp & VolumeDown and use the Home button to select.

Personally, this is the method I use. Seems thourough enough and defo does the job. Worth doing before and after a FirmWare update in my opinion, but its 100% neccessary to at least do it after an update.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

Upvote 0
I'm trying to do the factory reset by holding volume up, home and power but it isn't working... Any ideas? All it's doing is bringing up the option to go into task manager whilst turning my volume up!

You need to turn off your phone first :p

As for the difference from going to settings, I am not sure either. Theorectically, a factory reset should be performed without turning on the OS, but realistically I don't think anybody really knows if it makes as difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones