1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Factory reset cannot erase personal files completely. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by hajimeabc, Dec 24, 2012.

1. hajimeabc

hajimeabc Well-Known Member

Hi, I am trading in my Galaxy Note on tomorrow. I have done a factory reset twice. However, when I chose the "My files" icon, a lot of folders with my files are still there. Why factory reset did not earse all my files? What can I do to erase everything completely? Maybe there are other files (e.g. settings, passwords, etc.) outside "My files" that I am not aware of.

My phone is under GB. Will upgrading it to ICS remove everything? I worry that during the upgrading, something bad may happen. I may end up not being able to sell the phone. I have already removed my SD card.

Thanks.

2. huaren

huaren Newbie

sorry, I wont' be able to answer your question, but how much you traded your galaxy s3 for? do you need to pay any extra?

3. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

I was just going to say

4. hajimeabc

hajimeabc Well-Known Member

It is strange. I removed the sd card but there is a /sdcard directory with some folders under "My files"?!

5. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

The only files that it may save are media files and contact information, if you made a backup.

If you have backups i would suggest to delete them off the device.

6. phoenix93

phoenix93 Lurker

press volume up+power+home to hard reset and see if that fixes the prob

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Internal storage shows up as SD card in the My Files app, and the removable SD card is "external_sd". Anyway, no matter what factory reset you do, the My Files app will never be empty, because it was never empty to begin with from the factory. There are several folders there which would belong to the Android OS itself.