1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Factory reset Captivate without USB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Riteheer, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Riteheer

Riteheer Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    My captivate has quit recognizing any usb plugged in. I have received a replacement from AT&T, but would like to reset the phone to the original factory, and 'unroot' it if possible.
    Ordinarily this might not be a problem, but since it does not recognize any usb, I am at a loss as to how to do it? I thought if I could locate an update.zip that is from the original factory settings, I could transfer this to the phone and use that to do a factory reset?
    OPen to all suggestions....

Advertisement

2. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Have you tried dialing this:

*2767*3855#

EDtheCAPTIVATE likes this.
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Android Enthusiast
    None

read my sig and you will be fine

RobertBMcNeill likes this.
  4. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    I had this same issue a while back and eventually found a way to do it (no one gave me the *2767*3855# option so I don't know if that works or not). If that doesn't work for you, let us know and I'll try to dig through my stuff to see if I can find it. I'm pretty sure I saved it just in case I had the problem again.

5. Riteheer

Riteheer Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    I tried that, and it did a factory format, but unfortunately it did not remove 'superuser' which implies to me that it didn't clear everything. I doubt that AT&T will go thru the phone, but just wanted to clear any evidence of root if possible. Any other suggestions?

6. EDtheCAPTIVATE

None

Feb 6, 2012
    i just used this so i could hard reset because my accelerometer wasnt workin

7. timbuk2

timbuk2 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    What will this do exactly? I've upgraded to 2.3 Gingerbread, but now my phone is locked in Landscape mode, I get the tethering error when I connect or disconnect to wifi (sometimes even when I don't) I keep getting a "Car Dock" error which I know nothing about and my computers will not recognize the phone as a USB device. I think I've done a backup once, but don't recall where it went, was thinking it was google. The phone is out of warranty and I'm not going to pay $125 on the insurance when you can get a new one for a penny. ;-) Don't think I want another Captivate either way.