• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root factory reset / data wipe = lose 3g? how does that affect us?

This is just a guess, but I am assuming once you update the radio it is not an issue. I am on Android 2.2 via the new radio and have not had any issues. I have wiped about 10 times in the past 24 hours.

I am not going to test it, but you should be able to wipe, update the radio, root, and go to 2.2 without a problem.

Side note: When I went to 2.2 last week my data went out and I could not get it to work right until I wiped it.

Upvote 0
This is just a guess, but I am assuming once you update the radio it is not an issue. I am on Android 2.2 via the new radio and have not had any issues. I have wiped about 10 times in the past 24 hours.

I am not going to test it, but you should be able to wipe, update the radio, root, and go to 2.2 without a problem.

Side note: When I went to 2.2 last week my data went out and I could not get it to work right until I wiped it.

that's what leads me to the question though...am i going to screw it up by going backwards when i unroot to install the new radio?

Upvote 0
Before I went Froyo, I had done three factory restore/wipes on 2.1 withot a single issue to my 3g speed/ability. Then I rooted (the old way, in&out with the SD card), then 2.2 came out and I flashed all the way back to 2.1 stock with a wipe and factory reset... 3G was working fine. I installed the OTA Radio, 3G was fine. I unrEVOked my phone, 3G was fine. I installed 2.2. 3G was fine. I messed with the build.prop changes for audio and other changes for audio on 2.2 and had to wipe/clear and reinstall Froyo from update.zip three times. 3G radio is STILL working fine.

I've never seen the problem, but then again I am one user on one phone. YMMV/Grain of Salt/Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones