1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

factory reset doesn't erase custom theme or root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aladouce, Aug 18, 2010.

1. aladouce

aladouce Newbie

I just got a replacement DX due to random reboots. I read around on the forums that a factory reset would remove any custom themes as well as remove any signs of root. I was unable to achieve either with a factory reset and had to manually install the stock theme files, unroot, and then factory reset. Is this normal? Or was my factory reset not working properly? Is there a way to get back to "out of the box" without having to manually reinstall a stock theme and unroot?

I used the alldroid method of root, and I had the revo theme installed.

2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser

Whoever told you that a factory reset would do those things is very wrong.

Factory reset wipes /data and /cache

All theme and root files are on /system, which is never touched.

3. aladouce

aladouce Newbie

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I love the revo theme btw. Since it replaces the system files, a custom theme shouldn't be slower than stock right?

4. thenew3

thenew3 Android Enthusiast

I would imagine reloading the sbf file on it would return it to factory fresh condition

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser

Nope, all it changes are the images in the apps.

In fact, I can actually use an app to optimize those images so it may be marginally faster than stock.

I'm in the midst of testing a complete theme remover/return to factory .zip for Clockwork Mod. It should be finished soon :)

Beats having to use the .SBF for sure.

6. humungus

humungus Well-Known Member

Awesome man.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews