1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support factory reset firmware reset?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ash_91, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ash_91

ash_91 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    Hi, sorry if this has already been asked I have been googleing!

If i do a factory reset will the firmware be reset to the one that came with the phone?

If not does anyone know how to downgrade to an earlier version as I want to root but have unfortunately upgraded to the 3.13 firmware :(

I have seen this guide but I dont fully understand where I put the files? [GUIDE] Downgrade from 3.13 (Sense 3.0) roms - xda-developers

Cheers Ash.

Advertisement

2. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    Hi
    As far as I understand factory reset just takes your phone back to basic settings etc but any firmware updates remain as is ....hence the only way to uninstall one is via rooting? XDA presumes a certain amount of tech knowledge so to help out this forum have created the DHD ' all things root' section which explains it in layman's terms. Have a look there and it should help?

3. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Yes - Factory reset wipes data, etc - it put's the phone back to an "out of the factory", as in completely blank, but it will not affect the firmware.

You could either root or there are .ruu files - these are ROM Update Utilities (or something like that) - these are like .exe files that run from your PC and can restore your phone to stock (meaning that, should you have rooted your phone, it can be reverted back to how it would have been when it came out of the factory, with Stock ROM, Radio, Kernel and Recovery Image)!

4. mrao

mrao Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    The factory reset option within the phone will just wipe everything and take you back to its original state...if you're on a custom rom..it will take you back to the bare custom rom state without the customization or data that you may have subsequently added after flashing it....if you want to restore it to Samsung stock...you WILL have to flash a stock rom...and will lose root then...hope that helps

5. CDPlant

CDPlant Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Essex, UK
    As far as I'm aware, the advanced ace hack kit now works with sense 3.0 roms, it will downgrade/root etc with one command, however it will wipe everything from your internal memory.

Check the XDA thread or the root sticky round up in this forum for info

Edit: just checked and it only works with certain builds, I can't give you a link as i'm on my phone :( It's on the first post of the xda thread