• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory reset kills 3g? (Sticky above)

I did a factory reset yesterday and the 3g didn't come on.....what I did to fix it was go to settings, Wireless & Networks, Mobile Networks, System Select, Change from Automatic to Home, and then changed back from Home to Automatic and within a couple seconds 3G came back up. If you did the reset and have no 3G give that a try.

Upvote 0
And when you consider that if you port a number it does a factory reset on the X that could get ugly. I know I did not port my number for 10 days and when I did it reset and the tech I spoke with said it was a feature.

Whoa, are you sure about this? I'm currently on my 30-day trial with the Droid X and will be porting my number later this week. Are you telling me that when I port my old number over to my Droid X, I have to do a factory reset? I have spent a LOT of time customizing my phone and downloading apps. Are you saying I'll have to start over from scratch when I port my number? :-(

Upvote 0
Whoa, are you sure about this? I'm currently on my 30-day trial with the Droid X and will be porting my number later this week. Are you telling me that when I port my old number over to my Droid X, I have to do a factory reset? I have spent a LOT of time customizing my phone and downloading apps. Are you saying I'll have to start over from scratch when I port my number? :-(

I don't think this is correct. I just ported my number over and it did not do a factory reset.

All I had to do was dial #228 (I think that's the number sequence) after the port and it activated the new number. No reset was done and the number ported over fine. They have an automated system for porting number over (can't recall the 800 number I had to call for the auto system) and the whole process took less than 2 hours.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is correct. I just ported my number over and it did not do a factory reset.

All I had to do was dial #228 (I think that's the number sequence) after the port and it activated the new number. No reset was done and the number ported over fine. They have an automated system for porting number over (can't recall the 800 number I had to call for the auto system) and the whole process took less than 2 hours.

Well, that's good to hear! I had read this other thread where a number of people were reporting that porting forced you to do a factory reset:

http://androidforums.com/support-tr...476-hard-reset-when-porting-new-number-x.html

I guess I'll find out when I do it in a couple of days!

Upvote 0

You must have gotten lucky! I ported my number yesterday by calling the number and then doing a *228 (which is what I was told to use). The phone was completely wiped without warning and did a complete factory reinstall. Thankfully, I was able to get pretty much everything back up and running within a few hours, but it was a PITA!

Upvote 0

That is exactly what happened to me and my wife. My wife had not done much to her phone but I had and it was not a very fun night.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones