1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Factory Reset & My Apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ScubaCA, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ScubaCA

ScubaCA Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    For those of you who know, if I do a factory reset on my DX (with the hopes it will fix GB), will I need to write down what apps I have before I do the reset or will the app market know what I had and redownload them to me? Should I first install whichever apps I can to the sd card? Will I be able to redownload the apps I purchased?

Advertisement

2. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    Hi, there are other threads similar to this. And I have just been telling someone else the same thing. If you can save things to a memory thats good. But in the settings there should be an option to back up data, this will include apps and should reinstall them after a factory reset.
    Menu/settings/privacy and there should be option in there to back up data.
    you can also save contacts and things like that to a google account if you have one of those?

Good luck and if useful please thank:D

ScubaCA likes this.
  3. ScubaCA

None

Jul 29, 2010

That's awesome! But, if I back them up to the sd card, How do I reinstall them from the sd card?

4. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    If you have them backed up on a sd card then what you need to do is first check there on there before you do the factory reset.
    Once there on the sd card to get them back onto the phone should go something like this
    Menu/settings/applications/manage applications then there should be a little tab or button that says "on sd card" this will show you whats on the sd card.
    When you want to move the apps back to the phone, click/touch the app you want to move back to the phone it will take you to an application info screen and one tab on there should be "move to phone".
    Then rinse and repeat last step for each app top move them back to your phone. :D

ScubaCA likes this.
  5. ScubaCA

None

Jul 29, 2010
    You are a wealth of knowledge! I do have one more question. If I reinstall these apps from the SD card, with the app market or Amazon app store know that I reinstalled them so that I continue to get the updates?

6. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    It should be fine once the apps are back on the phone. But if your not sure just make sure your auto sync is on,
    Menu/settings/accounts and sync and make sure auto sync is checked. Alternatively you should get pop ups in your notification bar telling you updates are available. Hope it all works for you and let us know how it goes. :D

7. ScubaCA

None

Jul 29, 2010
    On my DX, there is no Accounts & Sync option in the settings. There is only Accounts where the backup assistant is along with the rest of my email accounts. Any other ideas where I should go? There is Automatic Restore check box in Menu/settings/privacy...?

8. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    Is there no auto sync option within the accounts menu then? Failing that I would check the user manual to see where the auto sync option is, or just search the settings menu as there has to be an option for it somewhere. Sorry I can be more specific on that one or you.

ScubaCA likes this.
  9. ScubaCA

None

Jul 29, 2010
    So I did the factory reset but I cannot figure out how to reinstall the apps on my SD card back onto my device. Any ideas?

10. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    Once there on the sd card to get them back onto the phone should go something like this
    Menu/settings/applications/manage applications then there should be a little tab or button that says "on sd card" this will show you whats on the sd card.
    When you want to move the apps back to the phone, click/touch the app you want to move back to the phone it will take you to an application info screen and one tab on there should be "move to phone".
    Then rinse and repeat last step for each app top move them back to your phone.

ScubaCA likes this.
  11. ScubaCA

None

Jul 29, 2010
    Unfortunately, when I go into applications on the SD card, the only ones that show are the ones that I have downloaded after I did the factory reset. Will I have to redownload all of them? Also, how do I get rid of the pattern screen lock coming on every time the screen dims? I have already gone into settings and set the lock only to come on after 15 minutes but it still keeps coming on after the screen dims. Any ideas?

12. Desire HD Eli

Desire HD Eli Member
    None

May 16, 2011
    Leeds, UK
    I guess it will just be a case of reinstalling your apps from the market place then. It will take abit of time but at least you will get them bac and wont have to pay again for any that you have bought.

As for disabling the screen lock it should be something like this
    Menu/settings/security/change screen lock at this point enter your pin or pattern which ever its asking for and then there should be a option for none (disable screen lock security)

Hope it helps

13. csls

csls Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    I had the same problem. Factory reset and my contacts/calendar/google account reloaded/synced but NO APPS.

Fortunately, I went to

https://market.android.com/mylibrary

and they had all the APPs i ever installed. Not sure if they hadn't refreshed their data or what but it worked to find my missing apps.