1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Factory reset = no keyboard?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wolf_walker, Oct 17, 2014.

1. wolf_walker

wolf_walker Well-Known Member

VZW gs4, stock other than towelrooted.

I did a factory reset last night since it'd been a good while and all went fine, but it started into the setup wizard and no keyboard! lol
    It had voice typing which was happy to transcribe my foul language but no keyboard installed at all. I'm at a loss as to how a factory reset can not have a keyboard. I repeated it three times, did a battery pull before 3rd attempt.
    Gave up and downloaded a google keyboard apk and installed it, everything seems fine with the exception of it will not install the latest update, it tires and says there was an error. I don't really care about the latest update I don't think other than it not installing makes me wonder if it isn't indicative of another problem.

Thoughts?

I usually use SwiftKey, and after I rooted I might well have uninstalled the stock keyboard(s), surely that wouldn't effect a factory reset though?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

If you do a factory reset all user-installed apps are wiped, as well as any customised settings and app data. That is all a "factory reset" does, erases stuff. It does not change the ROM (anything in /system) in any way, which means it does not undo any changes you made to the ROM.

So if you had SwiftKey installed as a user app it will be deleted. If you had previously deleted the ROM's keyboard that would leave you with no keyboard installed. So yeah, that would explain this perfectly.

wolf_walker likes this.
  3. wolf_walker

wolf_walker Well-Known Member

Well crap, guess that makes sense then. I didn't know it worked quite that way.

I suppose I likely deleted something the new update is expecting to see as well accounting for it not installing.

Thanks for the info.