• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory Reset now themes won't work

ninja636rider

Sep 5, 2012
I was having a few small issues since updating to JB on Verizon (non-rooted phone), so I did the factory reset. For whatever reason now none of the themes that I bought for Go Launcher will work. I re-installed them but they do not show up in installed themes (I've done this from the phone and from my PC in the Play Store. If I browse a theme that I bought and installed then select that theme then go to my home screen it just shows a circle arrow animation like it's loading, but it never switches to that theme. Some of the paid themes that I reinstalled do not even show up as ones to select after reinstalling them.

I also have an issue with paid Go Locker Themes that show they are installed (after reinstalling them) but do not work properly. One of them shows a blank icon in place of the normal screenshot when selecting locker themes. Some of them also do not show up at all even after reinstalling them.

Is there another way to factory reset to wipe the phone completely clean? I think somehow something is staying in the phone and messing up my themes when I try to reinstall them. I've tried this 3 times now with the same results. Maybe it's an issue with Go Launcher/Go Locker, but both worked after the JB update just not now after I reset everything.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I am doing wrong here as this is driving me crazy!

Either.

It could simply be the update was bad. If you've reset multiple times there's not a lot else you can do.

Perhaps contact your carrier and tell them the update has broken things even after a reset. They may be able to reflash the entire latest release in full unless you'd be comfortable flashing yourself

Reactions: ninja636rider
Upvote 0
Just to follow up on this topic, I did go to a Verizon store to see if they could help me. Unfortunately they told me that they had no way to reflash the update, and basically that I needed to contact Google. I called their Play store help number and talk to someone that tried to help by clearing some data/cache within specific apps. That did nothing either.

I have narrowed this down a bit though. Each theme for Go Launcher and Go Locker that I can't reinstall are themes that I bought through the Go Launcher/Themes and not straight from the Play Store. I guess somehow the transaction/download is managed differently. I even went ahead and bought another theme (which installed fine) through the Go Launcher/Themes page and when I go to the Play Store it doesn't even show it's installed or paid for...weird. Now it's the waiting game from emails I sent to the theme developers and Go Dev Team.

The main reason I went through the factory reset was because quite frequently (right after JB update) I was having to unlock Go Locker twice to be able to use my phone. That problem still exists and I have just shut it off for now.

Upvote 0
Well Google ended up refunding me for the themes I can't get to work. I haven't received any replies from the theme developers (two different people) or anything from Go Development Team, so I guess those themes just were not meant to be on my phone...lol! I did see a lot of complaints in the reviews for these themes from people having the same issue.

Upvote 0
In case anyone has this same issue I wanted to post an update. One of the Go Launcher themes that wouldn't work has now been updated, and now I was able to reinstall it with no issues. Evidently JB has a different method of installing these themes, and if they were not "fixed" by the author they would not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones