• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Factory Reset Rooted HTC EVO LTE 4G What Does it Do Exactly?

fcastro

Sep 21, 2010
Hi everyone,

My girl just got an HTC EVO 4G LTE and I rooted using RegawMOD which flashes TWRP Recovery. I then made a backup of her stock rom just for safe keeping.

Then I used SMS backup to restore her call logs, sms. Phone was working great and everything seemed fine. Last night she started getting duplicate SMS messages. She called up Sprint and I think they reset there server end. Still having the same problem today.

Sprint was pushing an OTA update and I thought it would be ok for her to apply it. So she downloaded and then it dumped her into TWRP on reboot. Obviously, I had forgot that the stock recovery wasn't on the phone anymore. Anyways I don't think the update worked so she rebooted.

Phone is working ok except for the duplicate SMS.

My question: Can I tell her to do a factory reset from with then Settings/Storage/Factory Reset?

I don't have the phone in front of me as she is away. Does doing a stock factory reset require the Stock Recovery or not?

Hi everyone,

My girl just got an HTC EVO 4G LTE and I rooted using RegawMOD which flashes TWRP Recovery. I then made a backup of her stock rom just for safe keeping.

Then I used SMS backup to restore her call logs, sms. Phone was working great and everything seemed fine. Last night she started getting duplicate SMS messages. She called up Sprint and I think they reset there server end. Still having the same problem today.

Sprint was pushing an OTA update and I thought it would be ok for her to apply it. So she downloaded and then it dumped her into TWRP on reboot. Obviously, I had forgot that the stock recovery wasn't on the phone anymore. Anyways I don't think the update worked so she rebooted.

Phone is working ok except for the duplicate SMS.

My question: Can I tell her to do a factory reset from with then Settings/Storage/Factory Reset?

I don't have the phone in front of me as she is away. Does doing a stock factory reset require the Stock Recovery or not?
if you follow the rule of never accept an ota while you are rooted or plan on rooting, you will never have issues like this. if you want to get up to date, all you would need to do is flash a rom that has the ota cooked in.

on that note you might want to try flashing another rom, or try and wipe dalvik cache and cache in recovery and see if that fixes things.

a factory reset basically just wipes data and that is fine as well, but i would try and wipe dalvik cache and cache first.

Upvote 0
ocnbrze thanks for the reply.

I totally screwed up when it came to the OTA. I figured since the ROM was still stock it would be ok. Didn't realize that the OTA needs to be installed by the stock recovery application.

ocnbrze since I don't have the phone in front of me, does doing this from the booted phone Settings/Storage/Factory Reset still ok to do? Will the phone just wipe the data and reboot normally? My girl is not savvy like me when it comes to do this.

Upvote 0
ocnbrze thanks for the reply.

I totally *****ed out when it came to the OTA. I figured since the ROM was still stock it would be ok. Didn't realize that the OTA needs to be installed by the stock recovery application.

ocnbrze since I don't have the phone in front of me, does doing this from the booted phone Settings/Storage/Factory Reset still ok to do? Will the phone just wipe the data and reboot normally? My girl is not savvy like me when it comes to do this.

correct. from the phone and not recovery, a factory reset will just wipe data so it should be fine to do.

Upvote 0
I've seen this mentioned on various forums for various roms.

Not sure but I think it's Sprint because it's inconsistent and has hit people who didn't change roms or make changes. It seems to come and go.

Clearing cache and Dalvik cache is good alternative to a factory data reset. An FDR does that and clears your user apps and data.

Which rom and sms app did you end up with? (sorry to ask again, just wanted to be sure)

Upvote 0
try using go sms and turn off the notifications for the default sms application. I would not factory reset unless all else has failed. Doing a factory reset is kinda like putting a can on a post to shoot with a gun but your gun happens to be a lawz Rocket. Way over kill. It's still possible after a factory reset that you could still have the same problem. It's like missing the can and hitting your car instead. Doesn't do much but make you even madder.

Upvote 0
i have a question, i think it may have been answered in the posts above but i wanna be completely sure.

im giving my evo lte to one of my friends. i am rooted and wanted to know if its safe to do a factory reset from settings>storage>factory reset to erase all my personal information.

thanks in advance

Upvote 0
i have a question, i think it may have been answered in the posts above but i wanna be completely sure.

im giving my evo lte to one of my friends. i am rooted and wanted to know if its safe to do a factory reset from settings>storage>factory reset to erase all my personal information.

thanks in advance

Yep, and erase the sdcard as well.

Upvote 0
try using go sms and turn off the notifications for the default sms application. I would not factory reset unless all else has failed. Doing a factory reset is kinda like putting a can on a post to shoot with a gun but your gun happens to be a lawz Rocket. Way over kill. It's still possible after a factory reset that you could still have the same problem. It's like missing the can and hitting your car instead. Doesn't do much but make you even madder.

I just read this, got me rolling on the floor over here. :p

Too true though! :D

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones