• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory Reset

GoinOnTilt

May 10, 2010
Ohio
Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Looking to do a factory reset of my wife's droid. her froyo is very sluggish and she's complaining about it. Everything I read says a factory reset usually does the trick and is night and day.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Look in Settings. Should be an option to Data Wipe/Factory Reset. Your Darling Bride will lose ALL her data! The screen lag won't go away with a reset, because it's a fact of life with Android 2.2...

She doesn't have any data. She really doesn't take advantage of any of the features of her phone. She uses internet, mail, and text. She's got a ton of apps, but I've stored her app list on appbrain. All of her contacts are synced with Google, right?

Upvote 0
Her contacts are, but her SMS/MMS history and call log are not. MyBackupPro will back those up to either the SD card or online. 30 day free trial.

If you can't find factory reset in settings, power off the phone, hold the "x" button on the slideout keyboard and power it back on. That will put you in recovery and the option to wipe will be there.

Reactions: GoinOnTilt
Upvote 0
Thanks. I found the answer an hour after posting the question.

For the X, a few of us are trying this: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/186672-everyone-updated-2-2-take-look-should-help.html

Clearing the cache, doing a factory reset and turning off the 2.2's backup/restore feature before entering a Gmail acct, to prevent pre-2.2 settings getting restored from Google's online backup. I'm not confident trying that with the original Droid tho, due to the chance I'd lose his contacts.

It's one thing to screw up your own phone when you know how to restore things, another to screw up a phone when they live an hour away.

Upvote 0
The settings backup, as I understand it, in the original DROID, is separate from the contacts synchronization. the contacts are synch'd by the from the account settings menu, where you can choose whether to synchronize or not - and if in hte future you turn it on it should still synchronize those accounts already in your Google Account.

You can test this easily by first logging into your Google account from a computer and exporting your contacts (so you'll have a backup just in case I am wrong and it wipes them out), then turning off the settings backup and restore feature and finally rebooting and signing in to your google account. Immediately after verification, you should be presented with a screen asking which parts of your Google account you want to synchronize - uncheck contacts, and let it set itself up.

A few (minutes, hours, days, whatever) later, log back in to your Google account on your computer, verify your contacts are still there (and if not import them) and then enable contact sync in Settings --> Accounts - they should all repopulate your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones