1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Factory reset...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ametz, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Ametz

Ametz Active Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I have noticed something on most forums that deal with phones, but i wonder WHY....

Why is "Factory reset" for phones the new stupid universal answer to any and all problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Advertisement

2. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Opinionated Jerk
    Underground
    You're not reading enough. Lurk moar, then do a reset.

3. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Male
    Telecom
    KC MO
    I think a lot of people do it as an 'easy fix', although it's really not. On rare occasions I've done one, but that was related to rooting issues I believe.

4. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2012
    I do it every few months to keep the system 'clean'. Nothing wrong with it (especially if I constantly uninstall and reinstall apps). There are always remnants that remain that can and will gum something up in the future. I do this with Windows as well where I will format it every 6 months to a year dependent on usage (yeah and have to call them up to validate my key). And people think a factory reset is a lot of grief?

Factory resets are usually a last resort in troubleshooting. Generally speaking, it does clear most software related issues. Such as conflicting drivers or software. Or perhaps a corrupted process/file. Even with an uninstall, software can still have a remnant remaining behind that can cause ill effects on the device. However, there are times where a factory reset doesn't fix an issue; which sometimes points toward a hardware issue.

dustwun77 and dontpanicbobby like this.