• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

factory reset

kylecummins

Android Expert
Dec 11, 2011
Canada
My phones battery life has slowly slipped since I got it a month ago.

Went from 14 hour cycles with 4-5 hours screen to 10 hour cycles with 2-3 hours screen on.

I installed batteryguru a few weeks ago and havnt seen any improvements of note.

I'm considering a factory reset - what exactly do I lose from factory resetting? Anything I should do before hand?

Have you tried a battery pull reset (soft reset). Yes, I know you can't pull the battery, but it is simulated by holding the power button (ignore the shut down menu that comes up) until the phone spontaneously shuts off and reboots. That can fix a lot of issues.

Also, I would read some of the battery threads here and do some careful checking of settings and apps, particularly Google settings.

I'm not sure a Factory reset will do other than make you have to go through all the settings again anyway. It will wipe your system partition and get rid of all your apps and settings and any data that resides there like contacts. I believe your internal user memory (SDCARD) won't be affected.

Upvote 0
My phones battery life has slowly slipped since I got it a month ago.

Went from 14 hour cycles with 4-5 hours screen to 10 hour cycles with 2-3 hours screen on.

I installed batteryguru a few weeks ago and havnt seen any improvements of note.

I'm considering a factory reset - what exactly do I lose from factory resetting? Anything I should do before hand?

BEFORE YOU DO, DOWNLOAD GREENIFY..
ops..caps..
right, download greenify and greenify everything you dont use on a regular basis. Not alarms though.
It will freeze the app so it can not run unless you tell it to. helped my XS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones