1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Factory resets: How to avoid the most recent OTA?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by omnius, Aug 27, 2012.

1. omnius

omnius Android Enthusiast

I'm trying to get some foreknowledge for when the day comes so I can avoid this. I'm currently using a Bell Motorola Atrix running 2.3.4 gingerbread. I absolutely do not want the latest 2.3.6 on this phone. My question is, when I perform a factory reset, how do I avoid it installing 2.3.6 automatically OTA? Remove the simcard maybe? I'm not sure.

Please no answers that involve unlocked bootloaders / flashing custom ROMs. I am rooted but I will never be unlocking the bootloader on this phone, nor flashing custom ROMs for my own reasons.

2. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Android Enthusiast

When the OTA update is found it asks you first if you want to install it. just say no.

3. omnius

omnius Android Enthusiast

it wont just automatically install the latest version from a factory reset?

4. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

...And if you are tired of seeing the notification at the top of your screen, just go into settings, system updates and unchecked the "schedule box or whatever it says on your device."

5. davidmanvell

No it will boot to the OS version it has then it will look and see there is a new version and ask you to install it.

6. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

I have the same phone, but don't see a setting to uncheck the schedule box, under system updates.

7. davidmanvell

You have to have the notification present in order to do it I would think.