1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Factory resets screwed up my defaults

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by bdickison, Jan 10, 2014.

1. bdickison

bdickison Guest
    None
    I had to reset my phone and lost all rings and notifications from zedge. Downloaded it again. Anything that I have downloaded goes to Sound picker via ringtone. Notification use default from phone only no other options. I never had this issue before. In fact there are no defaults set for anything. My phone will not let me clear a default period. Help! I just want to set defaults.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) Factory reset is supposed to clear all your defaults. It's supposed to reset the phone to whatever it was before you first touched it.

2) Go to the app it's using as the default, in Application manager, scroll down a little and Clear defaults. Or use an app like Default App Manager to see all the set defaults, so you know which apps to clear.

3. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Factory reset will cause you to lose your defaults so that's normal. If you had stuff downloaded via Zedge, I'm surprised those aren't working as before not sure what's up there.

To avoid all this in the future, the best way imo is to make 2 new folders on your sdcard:

Ringtones
    Notifications

(note they start with a capital letter, that's key)

Place any downloaded sound files into the appropriate folder between those two (or both if you have one that could be used as either). From then on, whatever's in those folders will show up in the "default" list of ringtones and notifications. And you won't lose them with a factory reset since that won't wipe the card.