1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Factory Restored DHD - Lost Unlock?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Amster_G, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Amster_G

Amster_G Member
    None

A little while ago I made a thread, asking whether or not I would lose the unlock after doing a factory reset on my Desire HD. Basically I once bought that phone, entered an 8-digit code to unlock it to Fido. I never knew at the time what the code was for - could've just been a SIM-unlock only.

Old thread.

Here's the current situation;

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy S II. I canceled my Fido plan and went ahead with the new phone (Virgin locked). I decided to do a full factory reset on the Desire HD. After it was all done, I decided to randomly try out my girlfriend's Virgin SIM card. It registered as BELL (same company) but it had no service. In the carrier info menu it showed "none" or "unknown" under the operator's name. I restarted the device and that time there was no detection of any kind at all. Just "No Service".

When I boot up the Desire HD, it shows a Telus logo. It's done that forever, even when I had it unlocked for Fido.

So, what do I do now? Is it now just a Telus phone again? How would someone be able to use a different carrier on this phone now? I'd like to sell it soon but I don't dare to put it up for sale as "fully unlocked".

Advertisement

2. Dixi1801

Dixi1801 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Rotherham
    Id try another sim or two!

If that fails you could always use a sim unlock tool, although these may require root! I'm not 100%! Hope this helps :)

3. Amster_G

Amster_G Member
    None

I suppose I could try another SIM card or two. I don't know how to root, though (in case others SIM cards do not work).

EDIT: I just tried my own Virgin SIM form my new phone. I popped it into my Desire HD and no luck. Still "No Service". I don't know anyone with a Telus card so I wouldn't even be able to try that out. This sucks because I just don't know how this phone will work, preferably to any provider.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    The first thing to check is you're a) putting the sim card in properly and b) are putting the plastic cover back on the bottom of the phone (the antennae is in that cover).

Amster_G likes this.
  5. Amster_G

Amster_G Member
    None

Ah thank you very much. That was it! That wasn't very smart of me, not putting the bottom cover back on...

The unlock still work. I tested it with my new Virgin sim card and it worked!

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Heh, its a lesson I learnt by experience ;)