• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Failed OTA update - fix

sgtbilko80

Jul 9, 2012
Spent a frustrating evening struggling with my wifes new note 3. OTA update continually failed (4.2) and restarted itself. Couldn't find a fix on line but this morning I tried updating in airplane mode and it worked 1st time. There is no sim in this note 3 as she is at work with it so hopefully it will work ok but we now have kitkat! Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Spent a frustrating evening struggling with my wifes new note 3. OTA update continually failed (4.2) and restarted itself. Couldn't find a fix on line but this morning I tried updating in airplane mode and it worked 1st time. There is no sim in this note 3 as she is at work with it so hopefully it will work ok but we now have kitkat! Hope this helps someone.

When did yours fail? During the update process? And if so, what percentage?

Upvote 0
He's saying put it in airplane mode so no data is passed. Not sure how this fixes it though.

I have to do a factory reset on my phone if I'm going to attempt again as even in an unrooted state, it won't download the patch now. I must have froze the wrong app lol

I wonder if it would work if I downloaded the file onto my computer then transferred it to the phone via USB cable and placed it in the same directory the OTA transfer would have.

Anyone know a link to the T-Mobile OTA file?

Upvote 0
Well I'm on 4.4.2 now.

Samsung Kies 3 did it for me. No errors.

Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

Found the model of my phone and downloaded the correct OTA which went directly through USB cable. Went into odin mode to do it which is most likely why it worked. OTA was trying to do it while the phone was running.

my knox counter is still 0x1 though so my warranty is gone. oh well. I haven't broken a phone yet since I always have a case and a leather pouch also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones