1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root failed radio flash, security switch & fastboot question - newbie rooting [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by timsch75, Feb 12, 2011.

1. timsch75

timsch75 Lurker
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    So I have been working my way through all of the information I can find on this forum and elsewhere regarding rooting & installing custom mods for the used N1 (original condition, as far as I know) I got a few weeks ago and it is finally becoming a little bit clearer than mud, but I am still uncertain on a few things.

First, I am following the following instructions for the Clockwork mod recovery process:
    Nexus One: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

The first thing I ran into was the direction on the embedded link for the installation of fastboot
    Fastboot - CyanogenMod Wiki
    that instructs me to Verify SPL S-OFF. When I boot the device into bootloader, my security switch is S-ON. I had seen in other posts that it is not necessary to make this switch, so I did not. I would have, but I never did understand the directions to load an engineering SPL (where to get one, etc). I have searched this forum for s-off, and found nothing, curiously....but I digress.

I rooted the phone with the one-click-root program, which succeeded without problem.

I proceeded with the Nexus One: Full Update Guide and installed fastboot on my windows laptop and unlocked the phone. No problem.

I Installed a Custom Recovery Image using theClockworkMod Recovery
    Easy Method using Rom Manager (free). I then downloaded the radio zip file from the link and put it in the root folder as directed, rebooted and followed the directions to install the file. At this point, the N1 aborted the installation with the following message:

amend scripting is no longer supported.
    Amend scripting was deprecated by Google

Advertisement

2. razvan06

razvan06 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    ...who ?
    Bucharest
    i did the upgrade to 5.08 with S-ON ,so that has nothing to do with it :)

3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    Hope you don't mind if I tag along on this thread. I'm a little further behind on the same research, but if I learn anything useful, I'll post.

Elsewhwere I was told that the RA-Amon Recovery creates less problems than ClockWorkMod, but I was not told why exactly. Also, I'm still not clear why one doesn't just use a Nand Backup-- what do these modified recovery options give you over the Nand Backup?

I haven't even got to the radio flash stuff. I found a how-to that seems really simple and doesn't even seem to involve radio flashing-- is that because it is so old?

Step by Step Guide on How to Install Cyanogen Mod ROM on your Nexus One! | Nexus One Hacks Blog

4. timsch75

timsch75 Lurker
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    tagging along is the 2nd best thing about these forums, so no problem.

I also read that RA-Amon Recovery creates less problems than ClockWorkMod, but since I am already knee deep in this already, I want to at least come to a better understanding of the problems I am having before changing course, however slightly.

In the end, I will go with whichever way is the most effective. I will not shy away from something more command line oriented if needed. Just looking for some understanding and some direction with this thread.

5. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    louisiana
    the 3.xx.xx. clockwork is what's going on. That's what's giving you the error.
    easiest thing is flashing amon ra recovery from within clockwork app on the phone.
    second easier thing is reflashing recovery from fastboot, just find a 2.x.x.x.x version of clockwork recovery. Should be recovery.img file.
    OR fastboot flash amonra recovery. I like using the fastboot method personally, flashing inside cw app makes me nervous.
    I have always flashed radios and recovery with fastboot flash radio (then filename).img and fastboot flash recovery (then filename).img

6. timsch75

timsch75 Lurker
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    jb, thanks for the info. The only question I still have is the security question. I would like to do the fastboot method, but want to know the reason for the statement on the link I was following:

Verify SPL S-OFF

Boot the device into bootloader. On the top line, you should see S-OFF (security off). If you see S-ON, or you see a four-color rainbow background, the SPL does not support fastboot. You will need to install a fastboot compatable SPL, such as HardSPL or any of the Engineering SPLs for various devices.

Once I have an answer to that, I can sleep again:p

7. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    louisiana
    to be honest, once they started messing with S off or s on, I was already into whatever I was doing and didn't really pay attention to the spl. I've nver had problems flashing anything or ADB' ing anything.
    maybe it has something to do with people that don't unlock the bootloader, I'm not sure. I unlocked the bootloader and flshed a recovery via fastboot. back then there was no talk about the s off or on. You can do everything that needs to be done without messing with that. But for more knowledge I would read up on xda about the reasons, I don't know.
    that cyan wiki isn't nexus specific so maybe other devices need this stuff.? not sure.
    I've never seen the cyan wiki before last night. Of course now that you bring it up I'm going to have to figure it all out. Thanks a lot. lol

8. Snazzy

Snazzy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    If clockwork mod 3.x is the problem you can downgrade to latest 2.x easily enough. Open the clockwork app from the phone and select "flash alternate recoverys"

9. timsch75

timsch75 Lurker
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    Well, I was able to flash the radio using the Amon-RA recovery and am now flashing CyanogenMod6.1.1. There was no radio flashing error when using the Amon recovery.

So, I still do not know what the signifigance of the security switch being set ON or OFF, but I will not concern myself any more with it now.

I do not know why I got the radio installation failure, but will assume that it has to do with some issue in the code used by ClockworkMod Recovery, and will leave it at that.

One last peculiarity was that I had several instances of trying to boot into Amon-RA, but would boot instead into the stock android recovery. To correct this, I went into the Rom Manager and flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery and then reflashed the Amon-RA recovery, and it rebooted correctly Amon-RA. I don't know why it was not booting into my selected recovery in the first place.

Thanks to all who helped me out here.

10. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    You cannot change from S-ON to S-OFF on the N1, what you need to flash through fastboot is an unlocked bootloader.

11. timsch75

timsch75 Lurker
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    Rusty, your signature seems to indicate otherwise....

12. razvan06

razvan06 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    ...who ?
    Bucharest

i used to get this as well using the original ROM ,after rooting ,you get the clockwork/amon ra recovery by default.

while using the original rom ,you have to flash into custom recovery each time to use it. crappy - i know :mad:

13. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    Not quite.

It doesn't count that HTC can do it, they made the phone and have tons more stuff on it than we do.

For any normal user, S-OFF is impossible (currently) and in all honesty, completely unnecessary.

Code (Text):
    1. fastboot oem unlock
    on the Nexus does what S-OFF on other phones does.

Hook likes this.
  14. timsch75

timsch75 Lurker
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    Alright, now it is becoming a bit more clear. So the guide I was following was for the N1, but the link within that for Fastboot was not, which will explain why when following the links I thought I needed to switch security to s-off AND run fastboot oem unlock

alls well that ends well.

Hook likes this.
  15. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    Thanks for all the help, folks. This has been a very useful thread. I will be out of town all week on business, so I am going to put it off until next week, but I plan on doing this when I get back. This is a great and very helpful forum.

Tags: