• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Falling at the first fence: file tranfer

moto748

Lurker
Dec 31, 2011
Only just my XE yesterday, my first smartphone. So the first thing I wanted to do was get some music on it from my PC. So, connected up the lead to a USB slot on my PC, and selected the 'mount as disc drive' option and hit Done, as per the manual. I'm assuming the additional options of internet pass-through, tethering, etc, are not applicable here. But did it show up in Windows Explorer? Did it hell!

My old phone used to show no probs. Anyway, I rang my son and he came over. He has an HTC Desire. He tried his phone with my lead, and although the drive came up for a split-second, it soon disappeared. Again, he has no problem getting it to show on his PC, which is even older than mine. Mine runs Windows XP, so is pretty ancient.

So I suspect this is a PC rather than a phone issue. Could it be to do with the formatting of the mini memory card in the phone? How can I get round this?

Any ideas gratefully received.

BTW I'm going to pop round my son's later and see if his PC will recognise my phone. I'm confident it will, though, as it works fine with his Desire.

Update:

My old phone used to show no probs.

Yes, it used to, but it doesn't now, when I just tried. In three different USB slots. It comes up with 'found new hardware' (as does the new phone), but then an error message and the drive is not seen in Windows Explorer.

All of which seems to emphasize that this a PC issue rather than anything else.

Upvote 0
I just tried it through my son's g/f's laptop, and the laptop, unsurprisingly, recognised the phone as a disc drive no prob. So I copied across a few CDs worth of music via a memory stick, and I can do more on my shiny new Win7 work PC tomorrow.

But I've achieved the first thing I wanted to, and checked out the new phone and cans with Undun, by The Roots. Cracking record, people! :D Very pleased.

Meanwhile I have contacted HTC through their site, and I expect they will be able to sort out my PC issue for me.

I

Upvote 0
I just tried it through my son's g/f's laptop, and the laptop, unsurprisingly, recognised the phone as a disc drive no prob. So I copied across a few CDs worth of music via a memory stick, and I can do more on my shiny new Win7 work PC tomorrow.

But I've achieved the first thing I wanted to, and checked out the new phone and cans with Undun, by The Roots. Cracking record, people! :D Very pleased.

Meanwhile I have contacted HTC through their site, and I expect they will be able to sort out my PC issue for me.

I

Sounds like Windows Driver issues to me. I hate the way Windows takes it upon itself to install new hardware without user intervention but nearly always screws it up!

Try looking in Device Manager (under the control panel in Windows) while the phone is plugged in - it should show if there are any driver issues in there, which I suspect there are.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. but unfortunately my ageing PC (running WinXP) doesn't have a Device Manager in Control Panel.

Closest I could find was the Add New Hardware Wizard, which so-called troubleshoots hardware connected to the PC. went through that, and was surprised/heartened to see the the phone was on the list, as HTC Android Phone USB Device, or some such. But the Wizard said it was working perfectly! Still doesn't show up on My Computer.

Upvote 0
Thanks, yes, I did manage to find Device Manager later! I still haven't overcome this problem. In the meantime I have copied music onto a memory stick and taken it to work, put it on my shiny W7 work PC, and transferred it from there. Clearly it's some kind of USB driver issue. I've have enough of it now; I plan to seek professional help to sort it out, But there's no urgency now anyway. HTC have responded pretty helpfully to my emails asking for help, to be fair.

I also tried using a USB to micro-SD adaptor.The PC recognised it, but then came up with a driver issue, so no go there either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones