• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Falling away from iOS 4

Tboy 72

May 18, 2011
Hello, I am a college student, majoring in Information Technology- computer networking. I am, and always have been a huge technology fan. I love anything and everything to do with tech.

I have used Blackberries, windows phones, and for the last few years I have been using the iPhone. First the 3GS, and now the iPhone 4 for quite some time. However, since I am one of those people who has to always be messing around and seeing what I can all do with my devices, I have become increasingly frustrated by the limits that iOS has placed on me. I have become increasingly more interested in Android for some time now, and have decided that Android must be the OS on my smart phone. I somewhat know about the different versions of Android, and which phones ship with which version.

I want to experience Android badly enough that I have decided to pay my way out of my ATT contract for my iPhone, and get an Android device. I have had enough of ATT and cannot deal with them any more. The question now is which Android phone to get. After much thinking, I have decided to go with the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon, which I believe runs 2.2.

Is this a good choice, and what apps does anyone recommend to have for someone just starting out with Android. Please note, I am pretty much technologically competent, and can navigate my way around pretty much any piece of tech. The only reason I say that is so no one recommends a beginner device that will not be powerful enough, and only leave me wanting something better.

Please help.

The droid X2 is supposed to be available online on the 19th and in store on the 26th. The below link will tell you a little about its specs.

Motorola Droid X2 official at $200: launching online May 19th, in stores May 26th -- Engadget

The Bionic should be out this fall. I've heard that Verizon is supposed to be getting a version of the Samsung Galaxy s2 (SGS2) sometime soon as well. If you haven't cancelled ATT yet, I would suggest waiting for the SGS2 to come to Verizon. If you can't wait, look into the Droid X2.

I don't believe the X2 or SGS2 are 4g, so that is the advantage the Thunderbolt does have. If you want to wait a few months, the Bionic is supposed to be a 4g phone.

Reactions: Tboy 72
Upvote 0
It depends! What are you looking to accomplish? I find apps to be a very personal thing... based on the specific needs of the person.

For me a "must have" app is "WiFi Analyzer" because I do a lot of work with wireless network designs.

You are absolutely right. Apps are indeed a very personal thing. I guess what I am looking to accomplish are some apps to personalize my phone. I am familiar with apps, as I have hundreds from Apples app store on my iphone. I guess the best thing for me to do is to simply browse the android marketplace and look for some.

Can you tell me how many app stores there are for Android? I thought I read that Amazon has an app store as well as the Android Marketplace.

I guess the main apps I would really need are an app for creating documents, as in one that would allow you to scan or take a picture of a document and either send it or save it to my phone. Also, a Dropbox app. Can you tell me if there is a Dropbox app, and some type of an app for creating documents?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
There are several market apps available but the Android Market and the Amazon app store are likely two of the biggest.

For reading/writing office-like documents there is "Documents to Go" and "QuickOffice". I personally like Documents to go.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dataviz.docstogo
https://market.android.com/details?...et.android.com/details?id=com.dropbox.android

Thanks. I was looking in the Android market and actually found "Documents to Go" as well as "Skype For Android". To be honest, I've never even looked at any Android apps until just now. I am actually pretty impressed.

I'm really looking forward to using Android. Next Thursday I'm picking up my Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I was looking in the Android market and actually found "Documents to Go" as well as "Skype For Android". To be honest, I've never even looked at any Android apps until just now. I am actually pretty impressed.

I'm really looking forward to using Android. Next Thursday I'm picking up my Thunderbolt.

After reading all your helpful posts, and doing my homework; I've decided to go with the Motorola Droid X2. The Droid seems like an impressive device.

Upvote 0

I actually picked up the Motorola Droid X2 and not the Thunderbolt. I'm really glad I went with the X2. It's a little beast.

Upvote 0
I really do recommend browsing the market on the webpage. http://market.android.com You can log in with your Google account and install directly onto your phone.

Another "must have" app that is pretty universal to everyone is "Barcode Scanner". Whenever you see those square bar code images, you can use Barcode Scanner to scan them, even on your monitor, to go directly to where you want to go. Various Android based websites use these bar codes to link your phone to the market location of the app you want.

Another thing I use often is "Chrome to Phone". If you use Google Chrome web browser, you can send pages to your phone to browse. I found this to be very useful when I started modding my phone and would send links to my phone instead of downloading the files and hooking my phone up to USB. If you're not a Chrome fan, Firefox can also sync bookmarks. The additional benefit here is Firefox can sync bookmarks both ways, where Chrome to Phone is one way.

There are also a number of improved web browsers over the stock Android one. I personally prefer Miren, but Firefox is pretty quick, too. Another popular one is Dolphin. If Firefox ever starts flash (maybe they do now, I haven't checked in a while), I'd make it my primary browser.

Also, seeing how you just switched to VZW, check out Google Voice. Google will give you a new phone number and you get free visual voicemail, can check voicemail from any computer, and you get free text messaging. Might as well do this while everyone is trying to learn your new number, anyways. That way you can ditch the VZW texting plan. But this service does use data, so you need to have 3G up and running or be in wifi range.

Upvote 0
...and don't overlook the Apps subforum.

Also, seeing how you just switched to VZW, check out Google Voice. Google will give you a new phone number and you get free visual voicemail, can check voicemail from any computer, and you get free text messaging. Might as well do this while everyone is trying to learn your new number, anyways. That way you can ditch the VZW texting plan. But this service does use data, so you need to have 3G up and running or be in wifi range.
Though it doesn't do MMS. While a dealbreaker for some, it hasn't bothered me. Saves me from getting funny picture of the day from people. If someone really needs to get an attachment to me they can email it.

Another thing I use often is "Chrome to Phone". If you use Google Chrome web browser, you can send pages to your phone to browse.
Firefox has a "Chrome to Phone" type of extension as well.

If using GV and Chrome, I'd also recommend the GV extension for Chrome (not an Android app).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones