• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Family link allows google chrome to go over time limit

Starlord101

Lurker
Aug 24, 2022
I have google family link app setup for my kids device, an sm-a505w. It works just fine and has without issue for over 2 years, both on her old device and current one (old one not linked or usable). Functionally, if I set something like a time limit or restriction on anything, whether that be a global option like total time limit for the day, bedtime hours (phone not usable during the period) etc.... Or an app specific setting like time allowed for that app, blocking app, permissions etc.... It works. Even right now I can see a bunch of apps where she hit the daily time limit allowed and confirmed the app can't be launched. But recently, I noticed that the time reported seemed to be going up.... I don't know if she found some kind of loophole or what, but specifically, it appears that Google chrome as listed in the apps is able to use more time than was set as a limit. Only that app. I wondered if the built in Google search bar gets considered as Google chrome, but maybe family link only blocks or controls the actual chrome standalone app launcher?

https://androidforums.com/media/screenshot_20220824-132446_family-link.1713/

I have google family link app setup for my kids device, an sm-a505w. It works just fine and has without issue for over 2 years, both on her old device and current one (old one not linked or usable). Functionally, if I set something like a time limit or restriction on anything, whether that be a global option like total time limit for the day, bedtime hours (phone not usable during the period) etc.... Or an app specific setting like time allowed for that app, blocking app, permissions etc.... It works. Even right now I can see a bunch of apps where she hit the daily time limit allowed and confirmed the app can't be launched. But recently, I noticed that the time reported seemed to be going up.... I don't know if she found some kind of loophole or what, but specifically, it appears that Google chrome as listed in the apps is able to use more time than was set as a limit. Only that app. I wondered if the built in Google search bar gets considered as Google chrome, but maybe family link only blocks or controls the actual chrome standalone app launcher?

https://androidforums.com/media/screenshot_20220824-132446_family-link.1713/
screenshot_20220824-132446_family-link.1713

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones