1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Family stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MoodyBlues, Nov 4, 2014.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

I've been missing from the boards lately, except for posting in the staff area as to why. I've had quite a shock/loss in my family. I found out that my brother had died. And then I found out how he died...suicide.

We were estranged because of his addiction to prescription narcotics, and the ramifications of that addiction, such as an extremely volatile temper and delusions. I, along with several other family members, including physicians and registered nurses, tried over many years to get him to get help. But, as addicts do, he refused to acknowledge that he had a drug problem. But he did. Big time.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that he's dead, and that his despair had reached such an unbearable point that taking his own life looked like the best or only way out.

He was 56.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Condolences Moody. We share your sorrow and hope for better.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  3. Revenant Ghost

Revenant Ghost Android Expert

4. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

I'm sorry to hear that Moody , my prayers are with you .

MoodyBlues likes this.
  5. huh

huh Android Expert

I am so sorry Moody.If you need a shoulder or anything.I'm here. My thoughts are with you.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  6. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

That's horrible.

I lost my uncle to suicide. He was 36.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  7. MoodyBlues

Thanks, everyone. Damn, I love this place.

A few more details. I've spoken to the coroner and the police, and I have copies of the reports and his death certificate on their way to me. I also spoke to the person who actually found him, and he filled in a lot of details.

I've also contacted two reporters at the LA Times who've been working on an ongoing series of articles about prescription drug abuse. I know the name and location of the doctor who prescribed the *ENORMOUS* quantities of narcotics to my brother over many years. If the reporters don't want to pursue anything, I'll go to plan B, which will be taking matters into my own hands to see that the doctor and pharmacy are investigated.

8. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

So sorry for your loss, Moody. The prescription drug, (and by extension, heroin) addiction problem has become a horrible epidemic in this country. Hope you find the answers and peace you are looking for.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  9. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

sorry ... :(

I have heard.. (big issue in Florida)..
    Pharmacies right next to "pain management clinics".. scam.
    people go to the clinics.. get prescriptions.. go next door and get drugs.
    these places do NOT report how much individuals get or what they get.
    so a person can go around to all these places and stock up on meds.

then they can go to other states/cities/areas that don't have these scams..
    and resell the drugs to addicts.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  10. MoodyBlues

We're all still trying to come to terms with this, and I vacillate between being extremely angry and extremely sad. The main thing I take from it is: what a waste. What an awful, unnecessary, tragic waste. :(

11. amarie82

amarie82 Android Expert

I'm sorry moody! My condolences! You and your FAM will be in my prayers!