• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOTING (Updated 7th April 2012)

Can anyone help me, I have got the SD card serial and used it to create the IMG file with the help of that website that does it for you. But I don't know what to do with it now as the "Goldcard Tool" link just takes me to a site that requires a password and from what I understand that's what I need to finish the process.

Am I being an idiot?

Upvote 0
Welcome HSBHTC...

Just saw your post in the intros and wanted to wish you luck.

Can anyone help me, I have got the SD card serial and used it to create the IMG file with the help of that website that does it for you. But I don't know what to do with it now as the "Goldcard Tool" link just takes me to a site that requires a password and from what I understand that's what I need to finish the process.

Am I being an idiot?

If you see the post above your's, it says the password is in the thread...

Its our (Well Rastaman's) website. The password is in the thread. Start at the end and work backwards

Hope you manage to get it sorted!! :)

Upvote 0
OK, so I completed the root and it appears to have worked (the superuser app is in the app drawer).

When the process had completed, I got a screen which gave me options for NAND backups among other things. How do I get back to that screen? I've tried pressing volume down with power on, but that just takes me to the original Hboot screen...

*edit*

haha oops I know where I am now!

Upvote 0
OK then, I realise this probably isn't technically the right place for this question, but you clearly know the craic so I'm posting it here...

I've now successfully rooted my HTC Desire which is currently running Android 2.2 and I'd like to update to 2.3 - I see that there a various options for how to go about doing this, and I was wondering what the best option/s would be?

Cheers

Upvote 0
there isnt a best option as now the window is wide open for many different possibilities

if you just want a 2.3.3 stock rooted rom then you can go for teppics rom
dont flash radio you dont need it
if you have an ext partition on your card then flash the a2sd script after flashing the rom.
http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/388298-pre-rooted-gingerbread-stock.html

make sure you do a backup of the rom in recovery first.
wipe the device from recovery, then flash the rom

Reactions: MattyDread
Upvote 0
Many thanks for the FAQ. Can I suggest you slightly amend:

'UnrEVOked only works for 2.2 however. Any 2.3.3 GSM ROM must use revolutionary.'

to

'UnrEVOked only works for 2.2 however. Any 2.2.x or 2.3.3 GSM ROM must use revolutionary.'

I read the original line to mean I could use unrevoked on my 2.2.2 Desire but it gives the 'software too new' error.

Before I use the revolutionary method should I do any housekeeping on the phone because of the failed root? I uninstalled zysploit which I believe unrevoked created. Is it preferable I do a factory reset (this is no big deal as the phone was recently reset anyway)? Many thanks.

Upvote 0
Ok guess you missed this part from post 1 of this thread:

Tried using unrevoked, but it failed "is your software version too new?"
There are 2 reasons for this.

1) Your firmware IS too new. Check your version. The ARA 2.32.415.x is now rootable. Ensure you are using the 3.32 version of Unrevoked if you are on an ARA build - 3.32

For other versions, 3.21 is best - 3.21

Upvote 0
Ok guess you missed this part from post 1 of this thread:

Tried using unrevoked, but it failed "is your software version too new?"
There are 2 reasons for this.

1) Your firmware IS too new. Check your version. The ARA 2.32.415.x is now rootable. Ensure you are using the 3.32 version of Unrevoked if you are on an ARA build - 3.32

For other versions, 3.21 is best - 3.21

Yes, I did read that but must have then assumed it was because of 2.2.2 rather than using a different version of unrevoked. I'll try it and report back.

Update: 3.21 worked without any issues. Had to initially pull battery to enable boot to recovery but all now seems good. Thanks very much.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily - depends on a lot of other factors. There's no "best" radio for everyone. I've never found the differences between radios to be all that large myself, though some report different results.

But the reason to recommend not upgrading the radio is that it's riskier than the ROM. If the radio flash goes wrong the phone is dead. Hence we don't recommend flashing radios when there isn't a need (though it's always up to you if you want to :)).

Personally I've flashed most radios at one time or another, but am quietly relieved that there aren't any more - it's not something I miss ;)

Reactions: Bradden
Upvote 0
Hi,

I want to unroot my phone and restore it back to stock. According to this guide, I will need to install one of the original Desire RUUs. Since I bought the phone from O2 Germany, I have chosen this update:

OTA_Bravo_O2_DE_1.20.207.3-1.17.207.3_releasez9b8rc8nxxq8cosz.zip

This is a zip file that contains lots of files and folders, one of which is firmware.zip, which in turn contains

Code:
android_info.txt
boot.img
radio.img
rcdata.img
recovery.img

I guess these are raw images. How do I flash them? Or is there some nice software that knows how to deal with the rest of the files and flash the whole package?

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I've done a lot of research into rooting my Desire but info specifically for OS X is sparse. At the moment I'm trying to use Unrevoked but I don't have any success. Below are the details of my phone:

Android Version

Baseband Version
32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27

Kernel Version
2.6.32.15-gf5a401c
htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Build Number
2.29.405.7 CL344690 release-keys

Software Number

Browser Version
Webkit 3.1

I first used the current version of Unrevoked (3.32), I got the 'Is your firmware too new?' error message when using that. Then I managed to find Unrevoked v3.21 and tried as suggested in the Rooting FAQ, this didn't work either. The error message for this was 'Internal Error: couldn't find misc'

Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on my issues because I'm stumped after hours trawling the threads on this site.

This is also in an individual thread: http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/490239-rooting-using-os-x.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones