• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fascinate vs Droid X

Lets see, the X:

Bigger screen, better resolution, better reception, better call quality, noise cancellation, better battery life, better GPS, better build quality, LED notification, better. More is better. X > fASciNAte, always. L O L.

Oh, I know this makes people mad, but the buttons at the bottom of the screen stay lit longer too. Better! Yea...

Upvote 0
I just returned my X after 2 months I had to go through executive relations at Verizon. I was on my second X and between the rebooting and not getting phone calls it was not worth it anymore. I was told by Verizon that replacing my device for a third time would not work because the issues I was having were known issues WTF. So after a bbb complaint I must say they were very nice and agreed with me and put my contract back and returned the X.

Upvote 0
Lets see, the X:

Bigger screen, better resolution, better reception, better call quality, noise cancellation, better battery life, better GPS, better build quality, LED notification, better. More is better. X > fASciNAte, always. L O L.

Oh, I know this makes people mad, but the buttons at the bottom of the screen stay lit longer too. Better! Yea...

Just to respond to this.

Bigger screen with more pixels on the X. More vibrant colorful, contrastier screen on the SF.

Better Reception on the X.....The X may get better reception but the SF still gets average or above average reception.

Better Call quality and noise cancellation..Go hand in hand and is definitely a plus. The three mics on the X is awesome for video recording also.

Better Battery life: Fascinate works fine for a full day of moderate-heavy use. I mean, if for some reason you would rather charge every day and a half go for it. Definitely a plus for the droid x though.

LED Notifications: WTF was Samsung thinking on this? Droid X all the way.

If you're looking to root though, the Fascinate is easier. Better form factor and such.

They work at about the exact same speed from every speed test I've seen.

You'd do well with either though...Definitely check em out in the store.

Upvote 0
I'm going through the same thing. Can't decide between my Fascinate that I already own (had some issues, maybe a lemon??) and exchanging it for the Droid X that is currently sitting unactivated on my kitchen counter. It just came today. Decisions, decisions, etc...

Humm, not really loving the hard keys on the X....I can operate the Fascinate with one hand. Not perfectly, but it is possible. Not sure you can do that with the X??

Check my other posts out. Some of my comparisons might help. It is a tough decision and I think I'm leaning towards keeping my Fascinate (as long as it doesn't start to act up again). It is so slick and user friendly.

Upvote 0
Why SF over DX? Mostly asthetic for me, as either of the phones have more than enough capability for my needs.

I love the way the SF looks and feels. My co-workers' DXs look kinda dull and outdated next to my SF, both the hardware and the screen. I'm a sucker for that SAMOLED screen. I like that it doesn't have the hump in the back. I like the soft buttons over the creaky hard buttons on the X. Call me superficial, I guess.

Oh, and getting 2 of them for $99 w/ BOGO and NE2 was the clincher.

Upvote 0
2.2 on the X should make the decision easy for you. And for you battery loving freaks, froyo on the X does insane battery life. 18 hours since unplugged with 70% left.

And with that I leave you with this. X > fAsCiNaTE

Why do you even come to the Fascinate threads? You are such a typical fanboy its borderline ridiculous. Ok, we get it, you like the X better, but you are going way overboard in your comparisons. Comparing the X on 2.2 is a waste of time since it is apples to oranges. The 2.2 update for the SF should bring quite a few improvements and make it a different beast.

I was debating between these two as well and I ended up with the SF and I am completely happy with that decision. Even though the SF is only a "little" smaller, it feels a lot smaller. The X is an ugly phone, period. It is a very poor design for something that people carry around all day.

Now on to the differences. I hate when people say "Oh the X has better resolution, blah blah." No it actually doesn't. It has more pixels because it has a larger screen, that is it. For example, both screens are 480 pixels wide, the SF screen is not as wide and has the same number of pixels making it a higher density. I c an't argue with the size of the screen because it is certainly larger on the X, but to me that wasn't that big of a deal I came from a LG Dare. The camera wasn't a big deal to me either since I use a real camera for taking pictures (Canon XSi) so 5MP is more than enough for the occasional quick snapshot when I don't have my camera on me.

My battery lasts me more than a full day with above average use, maybe not "heavy" use, but certainly above average. My friends with the X aren't reporting much better battery life with similar usage to mine. I just charge the phone at night when I am sleeping anyway, so who cares if I get a few extra hours out of the X. The screen on the SF is soooo much nice (maybe that is an opinion, but I think most people agree). That is a huge selling point for the SF.

I have also had no issue with call quality or reception so that is not a big deal. The noise cancellation on the X is cool, but for me, and probably most people, unncessary. The lack of LED notifications on the SF is certainly strange, but the noLED app fixes that. Plus once gaming becomes more popular in the android market, the SF will play 3d games a lot better.

So what it comes down to for me is this:

Get the Droid X if:
1) you like to brag about features that most likely never get utilized
2) want a slightly larger screen
3) want 2.2 now rather than waiting

Get the Samsung Fascinate if:
1) you love the screen quality
2) you want a phone that can do just about everything the X can
3) actually is asethetically pleasing

These are all my opinions and yours may vary, but hope that helps. I still stand by my original statement as to why TheXFactor even looks at the SF forums, all he does is bash the SF and acts like the X is the best thing since sliced bread. The FACT is that both phones have their strengths and weaknesses, period. Don't be naive and think that the X has no weaknesses.

Reactions: hockeydave55
Upvote 0
After actually having the DX for 29 days and trading it in, I think I should point a few things out. (yes, it was an INCREDIBLY hard decision but I am more than happy that I did it).

I'll respond to some of the claims made here:

1.) The Droid X may have 3 mic's, but I have noticed that the people that I talk to can hear me JUST AS WELL as they could on the DX.

2.) The DX has a bigger screen. Really? How much bigger? OH YEAH, not enough to brag about. Seriously.. have you seen the two side by side?

3.) I patrolled the DX forums very frequently, and noted that 90% of all the posts made were numerous COMPLAINTS, including:

a.) My DX randomly reboots.
b.) My DX is frozen and requires a battery pull.
c.) My 3G network keeps dropping.
d.) My internet randomly stops connecting and I have to either battery pull or wait for 15-20 mins.
e.) I can't hear my DX's rings or alerts because the speaker volume is extremely quiet when it is lying on a surface or in a pocket.

4.) Battery? I suppose I conditioned my battery pretty well on the SF because this is my THIRD day using it. NEVER did I get that on the DX.

5.) Sure, the camera is 3 megapixels higher, which does equate to more data, but have you actually looked at pictures on the DX vs. the SF. They look remarkably similar.

6.) You compare the DX's 2.2 to the SF's 2.1. You do realize that you're trying to compare a newer version of an OS to an older one. With all the performance of the SF being still higher than 2.2 on the DX, imagine what will happen when the SF gets its update?

7.) Have you heard the speaker on the SF? It's clear than it is much louder and even crisper than that of the DX. I can talk on speaker phone literally from across the room, and can actually hear my phone ring.

I consider myself to have had minimal issues on my X, as I treated it like an EGG, but I still experienced the above problems. At least with any issue on the fascinate (i.e. GPS) there is almost always a software fix. Trust me, I was so excited for the X and had no plan whatsoever to switch to an SF, I just downplayed it in my mind so that I could justify my X.

Also, I think its not stressed enough that the Fascinate has a more capable processor as well as GPU, which DOES make a difference just by using the phone. Even after 2.2 the X continues to have some of the same issues and is only slightly "faster" that it was before.

Besides quadrant scores, my SF NEVER lags anywhere (its instant) whereas my X did. I would have loved to keep the X but its being unbiased that allows you to see the real differences and make the right decision.

Honestly, the only thing I miss was the notification LED.

Upvote 0
the only thing i want on the x is the LED for notifications and 8MB camera. The camera isnt a huge deal as i dont use it that much though.

I would gladly trade the looks of the SF for the above any day. Plus the SF fits in my pocket nicely and the X didnt.

I am not a big fan of touch wiz but launcher pro makes this phone pretty descent.

and i think the screen on the SF looks clearer to me even if the x has a few more pixels.

Upvote 0
Well my opinion was to get the SF. But honestly a hundred people can tell you to get the SF but when you play with the DX yourself and like it better what are you going to do? I understand you intent. You dont wanna pick one and regret not picking the other one, the right one. But really the very best way is to play with each in store for yourself. My NE2 came up weeks before the SF was released but I waited for the SF knowing I was leaning DX. On launch day having read all the previews and reviews on the SF and DX I still spent nearly an hour in store messing with each one. In the end I picked the SF.

Upvote 0
I actually have both of them sitting right in front of me now. If your interested. Currently I have the fascinate activated and am looking to sell my DX. To be honest I loved the DX and there isn't anything wrong with it outside of it being a motorola device. I just got a fed up with how they treated an open source platform and the community that loves it. There are several people who have done comparisons of the two so I won't touch much on that but really it all comes down to what you're looking for in a phone. If you're into heavy customization (like myself) then the fascinate will eventually become the better choice. If you want a solid phone that has really good support that just works the droid x would probably be a better phone. Good luck with your decision and really both phones are really good. PM if you have any questions or would like to see pictures or whatever.

Upvote 0
I have the fascinate now and just returned the droid x. The X is and great device when it worked but It had too many issues with it. I also had the Dinc and the call quality and battery life was horrible. My X had rebooting issues and signal drops but the Fascinate out of the box has been great! The issue I had was it started to lag so I installed a task killer and all is good. I think the fasinate will be one of Verizon's best sellers you can see it is becoming more and more popular every day. You can't beat the screen its beautiful and the stock keyboard is the best I have used so far. As far as the GPS goes yes it takes 30 seconds to lock but no big deal my X would not stay locked. Call quality is excellent and if you add Launcher Pro you will have a great device.

Upvote 0
Lets see, the X. Better build quality, better reception, better voice quality, noise cancellation, better battery life, bigger screen, better resolution, sharper, crisper text and more.

More memory, no bing(WTF?), no blue tint on the screen, bottom buttons stay lit, home button wakes phone. More better. It's this way: X > fAsCiNaTe.

Upvote 0
Lets see, the X. Better build quality, better reception, better voice quality, noise cancellation, better battery life, bigger screen, better resolution, sharper, crisper text and more.

More memory, no bing(WTF?), no blue tint on the screen, bottom buttons stay lit, home button wakes phone. More better. It's this way: X > fAsCiNaTe.

Here we go again. I think you have that post saved somewhere so you can just copy and paste it every time someone compares the X to the Fascinate. Seriously, why do you even come to the Fascinate section? You are clearly biased and I feel bad for anyone who bases their decision off of your comments.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones