• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fascinate vs Incredible

I current use both of these handsets.
One for work, one for personal use.
Fascinate is my personal phone.

Honestly, no kidding, I scoff at my Incredible when I have to use it.
Battery life is much poorer on my Incredible.
I have an under-volt kernel and custom ROM on the Incredible too.
There are ZERO widgets that update or programs that run in the background.
It's purely work-only calls and occasional e-mail.

Now that I've been using the Fascinate for a couple of weeks, the Incredible's screen seems so inferior in comparison.

The only thing I like about the Incredible is the optical trackpad.

Otherwise, in my opinion, the Fascinate is better in every regard.
(They're both awesome phones though.)

Upvote 0
I current use both of these handsets.
One for work, one for personal use.
Fascinate is my personal phone.

Honestly, no kidding, I scoff at my Incredible when I have to use it.
Battery life is much poorer on my Incredible.
I have an under-volt kernel and custom ROM on the Incredible too.
There are ZERO widgets that update or programs that run in the background.
It's purely work-only calls and occasional e-mail.

Now that I've been using the Fascinate for a couple of weeks, the Incredible's screen seems so inferior in comparison.

The only thing I like about the Incredible is the optical trackpad.

Otherwise, in my opinion, the Fascinate is better in every regard.
(They're both awesome phones though.)

This is what I've been trying to tell a friend at work, and he refuses to believe me!! I've shown him videos, I've let him play with my Fascinate, and I've read him specs and comparisons.

He is still dead set on the Incredible. His only remaining arguments?? "The Droid X is too big" and "The Fascinate doesn't weigh anything ... it just feels cheap." EXACT QUOTES.

What do I do??? I took out a key and started tapping and scraping against my own naked fascinate's screen (yikes!!) just to show him that it was tough. I showed him the videos of the drop tests (brave enough to key it, but not drop it, heh).

He still is not convinced.

Upvote 0
There is no way I would purchase a Droid Incredible over a Fascinate or a Droid X. I have used all three, and personally owned both a Droid X and a Fascinate.

Is the Incredible a great phone? Yes. Was it truly "incredible" when it first came out? I was really impressed with it, in so many ways. Of course, I was comparing it to my Eris, but it was still a very well-made phone.

However, there are several key things they both do better than the Inc:

1. Bigger screens
2. Better battery life
3. Dedicated graphics processors
4. Better call quality

Now, the graphics chip has little bearing really on how good of a phone it is, but the other three are big factors when you're choosing a smartphone. A 4" screen is perfect in my opinion, and the sweet spot for a growing majority of smartphone users. It's an excellent balance between screen real estate, and still keeping the phone small enough to fit in a pocket, and a small enough screen so that a thin battery can run it for a day. The Inc is almost as large, but still smaller. And I actually preferred the TFT LCD on the Droid X over the AMOLED on the Inc. The Droid X has the absolute best LCD based display I've ever seen on a phone, minus perhaps the iPhone 4. The SuperAMOLED on the Fascinate blows away the AMOLED. Look at the comparison videos. Use them side by side. When I looked at the Inc's AMOLED screen, I thought, "Nice viewing angles and contrast. This is a nice screen!" When I looked at the Droid X I thought, "Boy do colors look accurate and text sure looks razor sharp!" When I look at the Fascinate I can't think. I just stare. When my brain finally turns back on it says, "Holy crap holy crap. I can read this thing under the freaking sun. And wow, that black is really black. Really, really black."

The screen on the Galaxy S is THE screen out for a smartphone right now. When I first got my Fascinate, I was used to the excellent LCD on the Droid X, so I noticed with my sharp PRK laser enhanced vision that I could actually see the pixel patterns on the Samsung, and that text edges didn't seem as sharp.

You get used it in about a day. Then you just see bright, contrasty words, photos that pop, and videos that look crazy good. I put Avatar on my phone just to show it off. Friends have asked me, "how can you watch movies on this thing? It's smaller than a portable dvd player ..." I just tell them to hold it a little closer. They say, "Wow, it still looks sharp! This thing is AWESOME."

Anyways. I've talked enough about the screens but it's a major, major consideration for a smartphone, in my opinion. Now on to the next topic: call quality.

In test after test, calls sounded sharper on the Fascinate than on the Inc. At least in my case, bluetooth performance was slightly better on the Fascinate as well. It wasn't a huge difference, but given equal signal strength and the same handset on the receiving and, calls sounded slightly better for both parties consistently on the Fascinate. But again, I want to stress that it was not a big difference. Remember that the Inc. is still a great phone.

The Droid X beats them both in this category. With dual diversity antennas and triple noise cancelling microphones, the Droid X is the ultimate call quality champion smart phone. I've read two editorial reviews that heralded the Droid X's call quality as sounding akin to a good land line.

They are not exaggerating. Not one bit. I have never been more impressed with the raw call quality on both ends of that stupid Droid X. Motorola has made one hell of a radio. If you make a call on the Droid X for the first time, and are not at least a little bit impressed with the call quality, then it's probably broken. :p

The other aspect here is battery life. Because of test reports and testimonials I'd read, over and over diligently, I was fearing the worst when I decided to order a Fascinate and considered trading in the Droid X. The Droid X had great battery life from the get go. I rooted it (which is easy), installed launcher pro and autokiller (also easy, and certainly worth your time), and de-bloated it and tweaked the sync settings for even better battery life. It did extremely well. And I was pleasantly surprised that Samsung's Fascinate also did nearly as well. With moderately light use I was able to log a full 48 hrs + one time, and getting 30 hrs unplugged before demanding a charge with the Fascinate is also not uncommon for me. Right now I'm sitting here 28 hrs and 30 min. unplugged, and I've still got 31% left. And this time I don't even think I gave it that light of use (other than during the night - mostly standby.) But I have gamed on it, texted on it, made Fring calls on it, along with voice calls and checking my Google mail often (I'm waiting to hear back on a job application!!)

The Droid X has slightly better usage time for me, but the Fascinate has slightly better standby time. Both of them did better in all regards concerning battery life than the D-Inc or the Eris.

Ultimately the two main reasons I ended up going with the Galaxy S (Fascinate) over the DX were ergonomics and the screen. I love having a screen I can see plain as day, even in plain daylight. And the Fascinate is much easier and more natural for me to operate one handed over the Droid X. The touch buttons are also silent so they don't bug my wife if I'm using it in bed. The buttons on the DX have a noisy click.

This is minor for me, but the camera is also better on the Fascinate (5MP) than the Droid X (8MP). Megapickles aside, the Fascinate's camera performs better in perfect lighting (though not by much), but much better in low light and/or with the flash. Takes a little better video, too. And its dedicated graphics processor is superior to the DX and even superior to the graphics processor in the iPhone 4.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you. I realize everyone has different wants and opinions. With that in mind, I continue to call the DX and the Fascinate a tie in my book. I just went with the Fascinate for my specific needs, but I would be in Android happyland with either phone. In nearly every aspect I personally tested, they handily best the older Droid Incredible.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
is the main difference between touchwiz and sense that touchwiz scrolls left to right instead of up and down? i like the left to right scroll better.

also, i don't care about the bing search but is there a way to get google calendar and google maps?

lastly, someone wrote in a verizon review that there is no notification for a new text. is there a way to change that?

Upvote 0
is the main difference between touchwiz and sense that touchwiz scrolls left to right instead of up and down? i like the left to right scroll better.

also, i don't care about the bing search but is there a way to get google calendar and google maps?

lastly, someone wrote in a verizon review that there is no notification for a new text. is there a way to change that?
There is no LED notification. You can get sound and vibrate notification of course. Or try a 3rd party app like NoLED: NoLED - Android app on AppBrain free in Market

Upvote 0
well i got the fascinate today for my wife. i've owned the incredible since launch. now, given that i've only had a day with the fascinate, take this with a grain of salt...

get the incredible. it is a FAR better phone. the fascinate has many, many issues:
1) no notification leds
2) contact management is COMPLETELY f**ked. syncing gmail contacts is useless as the phone will only see internal phone contacts for basic tasks such as custom ringtones or creating groups. you need to basically douplicate your contacts to get these things to work
3) the phone does not recognize gmail contact group lists
4) laaaaag. damn this phone is supposed to have a kick butt processor, but you'd never know it from navigating around the phone. sometimes i've had to wait upwards of 10 seconds before a shortcut would appear on a home screen after i've added it
5) no calendar widget. at all
6) bing voice search is hardwired into the search button and is terrible
7) bing search is ok but its no google. no google widget with stock handset
8) email issues galore. first off, it defaults to sync with your accounts NEVER. took 2 hours to figure that one out. second, for some reason when you open outlook on the desktop, you emails on the phone disappear. ok...
9) when creating a calendar entry, you are forced to choose each and every time between the phone's calendar and your google calendar. the phone calendar, like the contacts, are an island unto themselves and do NOT sync at all with your google info
10) gps takes a good 2-4 minutes to find a signal in either of the navigation apps. that's ridiculous

there are some good things too (screen is breathtaking), but as of now the negatives far outweigh the positives. its just a half baked phone at this point. i assume most of these things will be fixed down the road, but the dinc as of now runs rings around it in every category except 1) battery life and 2) display quality/size

Upvote 0
well i got the fascinate today for my wife. i've owned the incredible since launch. now, given that i've only had a day with the fascinate, take this with a grain of salt...

get the incredible. it is a FAR better phone. the fascinate has many, many issues:
1) no notification leds
2) contact management is COMPLETELY f**ked. syncing gmail contacts is useless as the phone will only see internal phone contacts for basic tasks such as custom ringtones or creating groups. you need to basically douplicate your contacts to get these things to work
4) laaaaag. damn this phone is supposed to have a kick butt processor, but you'd never know it from navigating around the phone. sometimes i've had to wait upwards of 10 seconds before a shortcut would appear on a home screen after i've added it
8) email issues galore. first off, it defaults to sync with your accounts NEVER. took 2 hours to figure that one out. second, for some reason when you open outlook on the desktop, you emails on the phone disappear. ok...
9) when creating a calendar entry, you are forced to choose each and every time between the phone's calendar and your google calendar. the phone calendar, like the contacts, are an island unto themselves and do NOT sync at all with your google info
10) gps takes a good 2-4 minutes to find a signal in either of the navigation apps. that's ridiculous

there are some good things too (screen is breathtaking), but as of now the negatives far outweigh the positives. its just a half baked phone at this point. i assume most of these things will be fixed down the road, but the dinc as of now runs rings around it in every category except 1) battery life and 2) display quality/size

Hmm. I am not seeing those issues at all that are not easily overcome with my Fascinate. I compared Fascinate, Dinc, DX, and D2 in the store and chose Fascinate. I wanted a screen that could be read in broad daylight. Fascinate won that by a mile. After conditioning the battery I get a good 12-15 hours. GPS never takes more than 2 minutes to lock. Usually about 30 seconds. I have google search on soft key and google voice search, google nav and maps. Using Jorte, I easily set default calendar and easily sync contacts, appointments, tasks with google calendar and to Outlook 2003 on my PC. (Using gsyncit) Gmail contact groups are recognized once you go in and select the groups you want to use. You can choose whether you want contacts on phone only or on gmail as well. Email was a breeze to set up with my ISP server and with gmail as well. I really prefer NoLed to having physical LEDs like my old WinMo. Nor have I experience much lag. Now I have not used the Inc for these purposes, but I can't imagine it being much easier. In short it seems to me that nearly ALL of your criticisms are bogus. Maybe it isn't the phone that is "half baked" but the result of operator error in not taking the time to dig into the settings. I came to the Fascinate from the wonderful world of WinMo so I had a steeper learning curve I guess than someone already familiar with Android, yet I see none of the problems you state that are not quickly and easily remedied after studying the remarkable, helpful info on these forums.

Upvote 0
get the incredible. it is a FAR better phone.

Couldn't disagree more, for the reasons I listed above.

1) no notification leds

Agree with you on this one. I like the notification LED on the Eris, the Incredible, and on the Droid X. I actually used it. I tried NoLED on the Fascinate and it had issues, on top of being ridiculously difficult just to get to work ... I've heard it's been recently patched and updated a lot though, due to the release of the Fascinate in particular.

I hear you on this one, and I couldn't figure out how to make this work like I wanted on this Fascinate, my Droid X, or the Eris. Although if I recall, I think the Eris could at least set ringtones for Google contacts. I don't understand why all Google phones can't do all the options with ALL your google synced contacts. I think it would be stupid to do it any other way. Blah. And I hated having to choose what type of contact to make each new entry. I always have to make it Google in the beginning or it won't sync and if you lose or reformat the phone, you lose it (unless you use verizon's free backup service, which seems to work ok...) What really boggles my mind is that you can't take a phone contact and CHANGE IT. WHY??? WHY!!!!??? Why can't I change a phone contact to google so it will sync? This is STUPID STUPID limitation. A limitation I found on the Droid X and Eris as well. If I accidentally made it a standard contact (bumped the wrong command or something while saving a number), I have to delete it and start all over again, or have one contact for my phone and another entry for the same person as a google contact. I feel your pain here for sure.

I don't really use contact groups lists. Can't comment on this one.

Never seen this. Not on mine, and not on my sister's, even before rooting or replacing touchwiz with a superior launcher. If it's lagging for 10 seconds I would return it as a defective phone, especially one you haven't had for very long at all. This crap is supposed to WORK.

See answer to #7.

Easy and permanent fix for this, most of which can be done without even rooting.

Easily rectified with a third party launcher, such as LauncherPro, which continues to get better and more powerful with each update, including the latest update, yet still continues to add zip and responsiveness to just about any android phone you put it on. Oh yea, and it's free. It also comes with excellent calendar widgets if you don't mind spending $3 or so on the plus edition. Money well spent. I think the Google widget is free, but I paid right off because of the speed and customizability increase, so I had all the widgets from the get go and am not sure about this one.

Never had issues with this, and THANK GOODNESS it's default to "never." What a battery saver!!! If I have time to actually read emails, I have time to click a single paltry little "sync" button. And the battery savings are well worth it - on ANY phone.

Again, I read you here. It's a minor gripe, but a very annoying one nonetheless. I have trained myself to just automatically hit my main google account every time. And this is actually ok, honestly, because I have two accounts sync'd - one for work and one for personal. I don't want my clients in my personal account (data confidentiality, and their info needs to be accessed by the company's owner/administrator). What sucks is that I have yet to see a Google phone that can do two calendars. I'd LOVE a widget with my work calendar and one with my personal calendar, or one calendar widget that has two calendar accounts on it. As it is, my personal calendar has to have work appointments on it too, which I hate, and undoes some of my separation and efforts put in to having two accounts in the first place ... things like this show that Google still needs to mature some more, but for how young it is, it's doing remarkably well.

I've used my GPS many times, and this has only happened once to me. The other two dozen times it's locked on just fine and worked great. If the simple fixes posted by verizon, and by others on these forums don't work, than again, I suggest you return the device, as the GPS accuracy is a big deal, a major selling feature, and something you might need to depend on some day. If it's defective, you need to exchange it!

Upvote 0
Hmm. I am not seeing those issues at all that are not easily overcome with my Fascinate. I compared Fascinate, Dinc, DX, and D2 in the store and chose Fascinate. I wanted a screen that could be read in broad daylight. Fascinate won that by a mile. After conditioning the battery I get a good 12-15 hours. GPS never takes more than 2 minutes to lock. Usually about 30 seconds. I have google search on soft key and google voice search, google nav and maps. Using Jorte, I easily set default calendar and easily sync contacts, appointments, tasks with google calendar and to Outlook 2003 on my PC. (Using gsyncit) Gmail contact groups are recognized once you go in and select the groups you want to use. You can choose whether you want contacts on phone only or on gmail as well. Email was a breeze to set up with my ISP server and with gmail as well. I really prefer NoLed to having physical LEDs like my old WinMo. Nor have I experience much lag. Now I have not used the Inc for these purposes, but I can't imagine it being much easier. In short it seems to me that nearly ALL of your criticisms are bogus. Maybe it isn't the phone that is "half baked" but the result of operator error in not taking the time to dig into the settings. I came to the Fascinate from the wonderful world of WinMo so I had a steeper learning curve I guess than someone already familiar with Android, yet I see none of the problems you state that are not quickly and easily remedied after studying the remarkable, helpful info on these forums.

can you explain how specifically you're getting the gmail contact groups to be recognized? i have them all checked on the phone, but under the phone's groups tab there is nothing...

yeah google search on soft key is great. but that's not the complaint. it's that the hard key is hardwired for bing. its

i understand that calendar issues can be overcome with 3rd party apps, but that's not really the point...

how do you choose whether you want the contacts on your phone AND gmail? i see no such option for both unless i create a duplicate contact

the lag is definitely real, even when you're just flipping through your home screens. not a dealbreaker, but again, if we're comparing it to the incredible, there's not much to say...

gps lag is another real issue, not sure how you guys arent seeing it. at LEAST 2 minutes to find a signal, worse even than my old tom tom

like i said, it could be user error, but i dont think so. i've searched this forum repeatedly and the above issues keep popping up. there are fixes in most cases (root, create duplicate contacts for the phone, use 3rd party app for calendar, noled, use 3rd party app for email, etc), but i'm comparing stock fascinate vs. stock incredible.

note, the incredible has some flaws too. huge htc email bug, battery sucks, etc., but its pretty clear to me that for everyday power usage, the dinc is superior for my purposes. the biggest things for me are the way samsung manages contacts and the calendar. in short, it sucks

Upvote 0

I don't think I would mind not having an LED notification since I do not have one right now. As long as the screen lights up to let me know I have a text and who is texting me, I will not have a problem.

I am very inexperienced with google accounts. I just created a gmail the other day for when I decide on which phone I will be getting. I only know about four people with google accounts and android phones so I do not think all of these issues will pertain to me. I will just be adding my university account to my phone anyway, which is the email that everything goes to.

sorry for all of the questions, as I mentioned before, I am an inexperienced user and just trying to do my research before I spend my money. Thank you for the answers!

Upvote 0

I don't think I would mind not having an LED notification since I do not have one right now. As long as the screen lights up to let me know I have a text and who is texting me, I will not have a problem.

I am very inexperienced with google accounts. I just created a gmail the other day for when I decide on which phone I will be getting. I only know about four people with google accounts and android phones so I do not think all of these issues will pertain to me. I will just be adding my university account to my phone anyway, which is the email that everything goes to.

sorry for all of the questions, as I mentioned before, I am an inexperienced user and just trying to do my research before I spend my money. Thank you for the answers!

A little advise. Im a college student as well and I have my college email forwarded to my gmail account (not pulled with gmail) so that all my emails just pass through that account and end up in my gmail. This will also allow you to respond with the email address that the original email was sent to. Some types of email clients will not allow this, but if that is the case you can just pull them with your google account.

There are fairly significant differences between sense and touchwiz. Sense to me is the best interface currently available. They both switch homescreens left and right, but the difference you are referring to is with the app drawer, sense is more traditional and scrolls up and down. Touchwiz on the other hand to me feels like an iPhone rip off. If you want a sense like experience on your phone buy LauncherPro Plus, which to me because it significantly more customizable than Sense is actually much better.

Upvote 0
yeah google search on soft key is great. but that's not the complaint. it's that the hard key is hardwired for bing.

What hard key? Every type of search I do on my Fascinate now goes to Google, including a voice search, so you're confusing me here ....

Well, Samsung's calendar app pulls the date from your Google calendar account. Is this what you mean? I actually like the calendar app on the Fascinate. It's responsive and easy to use. I don't think it's any better or worse than the app on the Droid X or the HTC phones.

Upvote 0
What hard key? Every type of search I do on my Fascinate now goes to Google, including a voice search, so you're confusing me here ....

the bottom row of keys on the phone. from left to right - menu, home, back and search. that search button is what i'm talking about. press and hold for voice search and it goes to bing. unless you root i guess. but since its my wife's phone she won't let me root, so it's bing voice search for her...

Upvote 0
Does the SF sync directly with Outlook?

Seems weird that a "google" phone doesn't play nicely with google contacts. :thinking:

no it doesn't. the incredible comes with something called htc sync, which enables direct syncing with outlook calendar and contacts. the fascinate comes with no such utility.

so after a weekend's worth of research, the only thing anyone's been able to come up with to overcome samsung's google contacts and groups issues are to duplicate your gmail contacts on the phone as well. you can export/import them to the phone contact list to basically create another contact list that the phone will recognize. once you do that, you can link the phone contacts with your gmail contacts and can use custom ringtones, recreate your groups, etc. it's cumbersome to say the least, but it works.

apparently the upcoming froyo update will have a bunch of firmware fixes for the fascinate, one of which is to have google contact groups recognized by the phone (#25 in the leaked changelog here:)

I9000XXJPC Change log and bugs - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I get very good battery live out of my Incredible after the first week of conditioning it. Now six weeks later battery run times are long & consistent under heavy use.

its still nowhere near the level of the fascinate. battery life and the screen are two areas (the only two so far imo) that the fascinate clearly outperform the dinc

Upvote 0
no it doesn't. the incredible comes with something called htc sync, which enables direct syncing with outlook calendar and contacts. the fascinate comes with no such utility.

so after a weekend's worth of research, the only thing anyone's been able to come up with to overcome samsung's google contacts and groups issues are to duplicate your gmail contacts on the phone as well. you can export/import them to the phone contact list to basically create another contact list that the phone will recognize. once you do that, you can link the phone contacts with your gmail contacts and can use custom ringtones, recreate your groups, etc. it's cumbersome to say the least, but it works.

apparently the upcoming froyo update will have a bunch of firmware fixes for the fascinate, one of which is to have google contact groups recognized by the phone (#25 in the leaked changelog here:)

I9000XXJPC Change log and bugs - xda-developers

Holy smokes, I hope you're right. This is not a major gripe, but still a pain in the behind, nonetheless. I just don't understand why companies (HTC, Motorola, Samsung, ALMOST ALL OF YOU!!!!) make these GOOGLE PHONES as non-google as possible. HTC is the only interface that mildly improves over the stock interface in my opinion, and has enough maturity to be stable and fully functional. And even some people question that, because of phones like the Eris.

Upvote 0
My signal strength with my Fascinate has been terrible lately. I am getting 0-2 bars in my apartment while my girlfriend (who has a Droid X) gets 3-4. Because of the low signal strength, call quality is ass, web browsing and app downloading is slow. Also this slight echo of my own voice when I make phone calls is starting to get annoying. I went to Verizon, thinking it was problems with my own phone, and they gave me a new phone. The problems persisted, so I am thinking of getting an Incredible because the Droid X is just too big for me (yes, and I know that is what she said).

Upvote 0
My signal strength with my Fascinate has been terrible lately. I am getting 0-2 bars in my apartment while my girlfriend (who has a Droid X) gets 3-4. Because of the low signal strength, call quality is ass, web browsing and app downloading is slow. Also this slight echo of my own voice when I make phone calls is starting to get annoying. I went to Verizon, thinking it was problems with my own phone, and they gave me a new phone. The problems persisted, so I am thinking of getting an Incredible because the Droid X is just too big for me (yes, and I know that is what she said).

The D. Inc I tested wasn't any better than my Fascinate. In fact, call quality on my fascinate sounds slightly better than the D. Inc. I don't think it will be a step in the right direction. I hate the bulkiness of the Droid X too, but if Verizon didn't have the Fascinate, there's NO WAY I'd get the Incredible over the Droid X, for a whole bucket of reasons, mainly the triple noise cancelling microphones and the industry's current champion antenna system.

If I was having these troubles with my original fascinate, AND with a replacement, the Droid X is where I would be headed, despite the large size. That THE phone for resolving call quality issues in bad signal areas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones