• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fast Evo with 2.2 and custom kernel

Ok got the wifi working but still having trouble with tether. When I pull up my network it shows ANDROID TETHER but has no signal. I can click on connect but then it will say "This network will appear in the list of wireless networks and will stay active until everyone disconnects" I am about to try kernel 3.7.7"
My Wifi is working fine..I never had a issue with that...Try reflashing

Upvote 0
Ok got the wifi working but still having trouble with tether. When I pull up my network it shows ANDROID TETHER but has no signal. I can click on connect but then it will say "This network will appear in the list of wireless networks and will stay active until everyone disconnects" I am about to try kernel 3.7.7"

Before you downgrade try this Wifi Tether app

wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre6.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre6 *** EXPERIMENTAL ** - Project Hosting on Google Code

Upvote 0
This is running my kernel (snap v5.01) and CM6 OC'd to 1.19 with performance mode:
1600.png

Upvote 0
This is running my kernel (snap v5.01) and CM6 OC'd to 1.19 with performance mode: <snap snipped>

Nice!

I found this link:

[Kernel] CM6-Snap-v5! UV/OC/Compcache - xda-developers

I'm looking for your changelog - maybe I'm blind, but any help appreciated, interested in what works/doesn't and using with stock rooted rom if possible.

Also, you're probably already familiar with this, any comment most welcome:

(from me at - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7565043&postcount=2627)

netarchy, first and foremost I want to say thanks and you rock - I just began trying out the kernel last week.

Secondly - I've engaged in a discussion with a guy who claimed that his Vibrant's Tangent scores doubled merely moving the Dalvik cache to the SD card with a rooted stock kernel on his phone, no other changes. While skeptical, I am intrigued.

I googled it a little, and saw in this forum that that didn't work out so well for the Hero, as one example.

While the Hero thread mentioned that at least a class 4 SD card is required, this Vibrant guy with the ~1800 Tangent score (on a stock rooted 2.1) claimed:

The card I'm using currently is labeled as 16GB class 2 card from Sandisk. It originally came with my first generation Droid.

Has this been tried for the EVO with a kernel such as yours?

Unless it's already known to be a non-starter, I'd be happy to give it a whack if it's not been tried. In such a case, I'd like to know if these are decent instructions for creating the ext2 partition - and is ext2+swap the right config to try with this sort of thing?

How to manually partition your SD card for Android Apps2SD – Android and Me

I'm using an earlier Clockworkmod Recovery rather than Amon Ra, so that's my path to an ext-type fs - and I'm more than comfy with Linux, I've been a unix guy since the '80s.

I monkeyed the script I've found into:

Code:
busybox cp -a /data/dalvik-cache /mnt/sdcard/dalvik-cache
rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache
ln -s /mnt/sdcard/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache
reboot

Seemed to make sense to not bother jumping thru the sdcard softlink and just hit the mount point.

Any merit to this idea?

The only way that even begins to make sense to me personally would be if the handset maker cheaped out on the internal memory's data pathways (almost unpossible for me given that Samsung has pioneered 20 nm process memory for mobile) - or - if the memory ports for the Hummingbird are somehow so strangely parallelized so as to actually give benefit to using the SD card for that.

I'm obviously confused as to the actual memory hardware configurations supported by these modern handsets - I've only been using Android seriously since getting my EVO on 6/6 - with attempted use on a Moment before that.

So, I apologize in advance if the question itself is kinda a waste of time.

Cheers, thanks again for the naked bunny kernel - I'm holding off on mecha-bunny for now.

PS if anyone cares, I typically hit around 1300 on Tangent with the stock rooted 3.26.yadda.6 rom and the netarchy-toast 3.7.7 kernel. I know better results can be had by losing Sense, but I kinda like it so far, and if this works, it would be Snapdragon 8x50-specific and therefore of benefit with any rom.

(netarchy's since explained that he uses /cache so don't try this at home without the appropriate change!)

I've not had time to try it, and don't want to flog the bishop if this is known to not work a priori with your kernel, so appreciate any light you can shed here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones