• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fast Image Viewer Free [App/Tool]

FIV is based on highly optimized, native imaging code. It excels at viewing large TIFF/FAX images and includes a proprietary scale-to-gray (antialiased) display engine that is several orders of magnitude faster than any competing products. It includes a built-in file browser which displays large thumbnail images with detailed information about each image. FIV also supports animated GIF images in both the main viewer and file browser. Use it to view email attachments or browse your files with the built-in file explorer. Currently, FIV supports the following image types:

TIFF (single+multipage, All compression types)
FAX (WinFAX, BitFAX, QuickLinks, Microsoft AWD + other undocumented formats)
PDF (supports scanned images such as FAXes, not vector/text)
BMP (Win, OS/2, RLE)
Targa (uncompressed + RLE compressed)
PNG (all)
JPEG (baseline, progressive)
GIF - animates in viewer and file browser
FLI/FLC - animates in viewer and file browser
PCX, DCX
IBM IOCA/MODCA, PSEG
CALS

The free version is ad-supported and a paid (ad-free) version is available

Find on the Android market as "Fast Image Viewer"

Reactions: bbfugitive
Thanks for the app, my fax forwards finally open on my Optimus. A poster on the code.google site wants to know "
I just need to know now weather or not it will support both Interleaved and Per Channel pixel orders and high resolution images of up to 4000X3000"

I'm glad it works for you. Right now, it only supports "chunky/interleaved" pixels (I'm assuming the person is asking about TIFF files). 4000x3000 images shouldn't be a problem as long as your phone has enough free memory (4000x3000x4bytes?per pixel) = 48megabytes. It doesn't do any "smart" buffer management for gigantic images, but most modern phones have enough RAM to handle large images.

If anyone would like an image file to be supported, please send me a sample image and I'll do my best to support it (tdfsoftware at gmail dot com). I'm trying to maintain a schedule of a new build each week with fixes and improvements. I'm currently working on adding a "recently viewed" files list to the main screen and more diagnostic tools to help me understand when the program encounters a problem.

Please feel free to send me feature requests, bug reports, likes/dislikes. I've currently got 2800+ active users and it's been too quiet. Feedback IS appreciated.

TDF

Upvote 0
An explanation of these permissions in the product description. Both Network access and phone state are only needed on the free version for the Admob ads. Phone state is not intrusive; it is for Admob to know your geographic region to send appropriate ads. There is no middle ground between Free+Ads and paid, so I'm sorry to not offer you another choice. I am reluctant to use in-app payment due to the Lodsys lawsuits and there is no trial mode offered by Google. A completely free app doesn't help me - I continually improve the app in order to generate income.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones