1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

fastboot issue solved but now IMEI issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by orb1t, Oct 20, 2014.

1. orb1t

orb1t Lurker

Hello,

I have the same problems with my Nexus 5 that Maggie had.
    I followed the steps but upon starting cmd or flash-all.bat i get the message "fastboot.exe stopped working" and the .bat returns something like this:

[​IMG]

do you have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Orb

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Hey Orb, welcome to our AndroidForums!

(I fixed your image link above for you, by the way)

From the searches I did on your error messages (both in your post text an in the screen shot), it sounds like other with this same issue had a bad (incomplete) download of either the utility or the source file(s) being flashed.

Try re-acquiring (downloading) your files--check the MD5 (or SHA1) sums if published to make sure you got a good download and try again.

Since you've got an N5, I'll probably move your post and my reply to the N5 all-things-root area, but I'll wait until you reply back.

Let us know! :)

orb1t likes this.
  3. orb1t

orb1t Lurker

Thanks for your answer!

So i tried it again with a different usb cable today and it worked.
    Don't know if this was because of rebooting or caused by the cable, as indicated in another forum.

But still my problem and the reason why I did all of this has not been solved.
    After flashing 4.4.4 myself my IMEI is 0 and since then i only have Edge connectivity.
    Do you have any idea how to fix this?
    (This probably belongs in another area too?)

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

VIP Member

Hmm, dunno about a zeroed-out IMEI...:thinking: :dontknow:...

I've have moved your posts over here to the N5 all-things-root area for you.

Hopefully someone will have a suggestion about the IMEI...

Best of luck!

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Do you have a backup of your EFS? Its an option in a nandroid backup that backs up all the important bits like that. Restoring the EFS backup will restore your IMEI to the correct numbers.

If you don't have a backup, about all you can try to do is reflash the factory image. Its not likely to work but some used to get lucky with that back on the S3.

If you don't have an EFS backup, you'll likely need to get the device replaced.

From a thread talking about the nexus 4, but the explanation is still relevant:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/efs-nexus-4-imei-efs-backup-restore-t2740788

scary alien likes this.
  6. orb1t

orb1t Lurker

Thanks for your answers!

unfortunately i dom't have a backup of the efs partition.
    My girlfriend has a N5 too, shouldn't it be possible to restore from this?
    reflashing the factory image hasn't worked and i tried around 5 times with different approaches.

If restoring from another N5 doesn't work do you think google will replace it?

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

No, the EFS is unique. Restoring hers to your device will not work. You can contact google. They may cover it, but I'm not sure. They don't void your warranty for rooting, so be up front with them and let them know what happened.

Tell them your EFS is corrupted and now your IMEI is displaying all 0's.

While you are at it, now's a great time to backup hers if its rooted and store it somewhere safe like a computer or in the cloud.

xdrc45 and scary alien like this.
  8. scary alien

VIP Member

Great info, Rxpert83! :thumbup: :)

Just a reminder that orb1t's posts started-out in an N4 thread and I moved him over here to the N5 area.

I'm heading home in a few to research where on my N5 my the EFS information is so I can back it/them up...(it's not obvious in the /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name directory).

Any insight here?

Thanks!

Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. scary alien

VIP Member

Ah, a little follow-up to my post above...it looks like

courtesy of this thread on XDA: [MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and E… | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

The script that this flashable invokes is pretty simple and simply backs-up the modemst1 and modemst2 partions from the /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name directory.

Cheers!

xdrc45 and Rxpert83 like this.
  10. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

Not sure if you solved this issue with the zeroed out IMEI and I know that the EFS partition contains EMIE/MEID information and is specific to each individual N5.... But I ran across this thread on fixing the persit partition and can help with lost IMEI's, thought that this might be worth a shot and try to help fix your IMEI issue - [GUIDE] to fix persist partition | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

Hope it helps and good luck! :thumbup:

scary alien likes this.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews