• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Faster 3g Speed configuration

new optimus

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2011
Jax Fl
Ok been lots of hunting around and looking where this is I am just going to make a post with this as the title hopefully making it much easier to find.

Faster 3G

Ok looks like this link is broken here is a very condensed version

on your phone pad dial ##3282#
enter your msl #
If you dont know it there are other posts to find it.

in the edit menu go to

Others
then Multimedia in there change the proxie address to 0.0.0.0
There are 2 proxies to change. Leave the ports alone
courtesy of

Shabby posted a helpful link in another thread to increase 3G speeds courtesy of Interdpth :)

Read about it here: Faster 3G

Good idea. We are starting to accumulate a lot of good stuff and it is getting hard to remember where I saw it except for the sticky threads. Some of the good stuff gets pushed down the list and some shy noobies may miss out unless told about it.
Not to mention if its in a (relatively) unrelated thread you will be scratching your head for days trying to figure where it went.:D

Upvote 0
After changing my settitngs, I have 1.1M, 1.3M, 1.01M down, .59M, .47M up from speedtest.net app. (5 pulls)

Prior to changes my highest was .89M down and .21M up. (10 pulls)

Admittedly, this is not very scientific and I may have 'flyers', but nice none-the-less.

Up load seems greatly affected.

*edit* wondering if this is bypassing a firewall and making us more vulnerable

Upvote 0
I'm running into problems getting the MSL off my phone. I've tried through my laptop and also through a terminal editor on the phone. After I put in the command it just prints a blank line.

When running on the terminal editor it is getting SU permissions, so I'm not sure what is going on. anyone have any ideas?

Upvote 0
I'm running into problems getting the MSL off my phone. I've tried through my laptop and also through a terminal editor on the phone. After I put in the command it just prints a blank line.

When running on the terminal editor it is getting SU permissions, so I'm not sure what is going on. anyone have any ideas?
are you using terminal emulater from market?
after typing su you get the
# prompt?
then type
getprop ril.MSL

it should bring back 6 digits.

Upvote 0
I have changed these settings a few times testing and never had a problem.

after you Dial ##3282# do you get nothing or do you get the view edit choices before entering your MSL
If when you dial ##3282# you do not get the menu check your /system/app folder and see if you have hiddensettings.apk
shabby left it out of one of the shabbymods. It is easy to put back in you just need to know if it is there.

Upvote 0
After changing my settitngs, I have 1.1M, 1.3M, 1.01M down, .59M, .47M up from speedtest.net app. (5 pulls)

Prior to changes my highest was .89M down and .21M up. (10 pulls)

Admittedly, this is not very scientific and I may have 'flyers', but nice none-the-less.

Up load seems greatly affected.

*edit* wondering if this is bypassing a firewall and making us more vulnerable

My numbers are all over the place. The highest #'s I have seen was .67M down and .32 up (new settings), and .30M down and .15M up (old settings). I have swapped back and forth several times now and I haven't seen any numbers close to yours. I'm going to keep checking at different locations before I choose which settings I am going to go with.

Upvote 0
This is working flawlessly on the Samsung Galaxy Prevail with no firewall app or task killer.

TIP for those wondering about the HTTP and the RSTP proxy change. It is supposed to be changed to 0.0.0.0 / This setting does NOT tamper with security ports of being hacked. It's a null IP address that simply allows a no target configuration of the network that you're on to send packets to and from of data that is not needed from targeted servers.

Again, do NOT use a firewall app as there is no reason to have this installed unless you're a paranoid person who thinks people are watching them 24/7 and the government is out to get them. *rolls eyes*

If you need to change it back, here is the address as required.

HTTPPD Proxy address
pd.vog.sprintpcs.com

RTSP Proxy address
rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com

Upvote 0
My numbers are all over the place. The highest #'s I have seen was .67M down and .32 up (new settings), and .30M down and .15M up (old settings). I have swapped back and forth several times now and I haven't seen any numbers close to yours. I'm going to keep checking at different locations before I choose which settings I am going to go with.

Yea, my numbers were inconsistant too, I was only comparing highs.

Since 0.0.0.0 I have seen 1.4Mb down/.59Mb up to .51Mb down/.04Mb up.

I tried to tether wifi today and was not working, not sure if this is connected or not. Comcast was backup shortly after and didn't need to test further.

Anyone else notice a WiFi tethering issue since changing to 0.0.0.0?

Upvote 0
This is working flawlessly on the Samsung Galaxy Prevail with no firewall app or task killer.

TIP for those wondering about the HTTP and the RSTP proxy change. It is supposed to be changed to 0.0.0.0 / This setting does NOT tamper with security ports of being hacked. It's a null IP address that simply allows a no target configuration of the network that you're on to send packets to and from of data that is not needed from targeted servers.

Again, do NOT use a firewall app as there is no reason to have this installed unless you're a paranoid person who thinks people are watching them 24/7 and the government is out to get them. *rolls eyes*

If you need to change it back, here is the address as required.

Maybe you misunderstood my concerns, Are we bypassing a Sprint/Boost firewall?

In the same manner that many peeps try to bypass the proxy server at work.

Upvote 0
Yea, my numbers were inconsistant too, I was only comparing highs.

Since 0.0.0.0 I have seen 1.4Mb down/.59Mb up to .51Mb down/.04Mb up.

I tried to tether wifi today and was not working, not sure if this is connected or not. Comcast was backup shortly after and didn't need to test further.

Anyone else notice a WiFi tethering issue since changing to 0.0.0.0?
I have used wifi tethering after changing that with no problem. This phone has a difficult time with wifi lots of fiddling is required to get it set up correct.
there is wireless tether 3. something beta that you can use to make the phone use infrastructure mode and it seems to give the least problems.

Upvote 0
I have used wifi tethering after changing that with no problem. This phone has a difficult time with wifi lots of fiddling is required to get it set up correct.
there is wireless tether 3. something beta that you can use to make the phone use infrastructure mode and it seems to give the least problems.

Reconnected tether and am writing this from tether mode right now.

I would say it was this mornings storms, but I checked email on phone without tether working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones