• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jack frost

Jul 24, 2010
So I'm used to a blackberry and especially how easy it is to dial out on a blackberry. I just got an x10 and I'm very excited about what I've been able to do so far but dialing out takes 3-5 button presses and some searching for the names of the person I'm looking for.

is there an app or other way to get a phone call off to a specific persons number. I'm hoping there may exist some way I can just start typing a name and click "call" like I would on the blackberry.

thanks for your thoughts

Hi there, when I got my phone I had a google for the best apps cos I truly was overwhelmed by the variety out there.

I hit on a top 100 site and came across something called 'Gesture Search'.

It gives you a blank screen on which you write with your finger the first (and if needs be second / third / fourth letters) of you desired contact. Ie 'A' will give you Adam, Alan, Amy etc with a green telephone handset next to them. Simply tap that and you are dialing. If you press on their name it takes you to the stock phone book.

It will also give you apps on your list like Alarm and Astro (my choice of file manager) so if you have loads of apps on there it gives a quick way to get to them too.

There are good dialer apps out there too although a couple of the top ones don't work on 1.6. Have a wee look on the market, download a few freebies and give them a go. If they are pants just uninstall them, nothing lost but a couple of minutes of your time!

Have a look at following thread on same issue, may give you some ideas:-

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/95910-fewest-clicks-make-call.html

Happy dialling!

Reactions: jack frost
Upvote 0
Hi there, when I got my phone I had a google for the best apps cos I truly was overwhelmed by the variety out there.

I hit on a top 100 site and came across something called 'Gesture Search'.

It gives you a blank screen on which you write with your finger the first (and if needs be second / third / fourth letters) of you desired contact. Ie 'A' will give you Adam, Alan, Amy etc with a green telephone handset next to them. Simply tap that and you are dialing. If you press on their name it takes you to the stock phone book.

It will also give you apps on your list like Alarm and Astro (my choice of file manager) so if you have loads of apps on there it gives a quick way to get to them too.

There are good dialer apps out there too although a couple of the top ones don't work on 1.6. Have a wee look on the market, download a few freebies and give them a go. If they are pants just uninstall them, nothing lost but a couple of minutes of your time!

Have a look at following thread on same issue, may give you some ideas:-

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/95910-fewest-clicks-make-call.html

Happy dialling!

thanks rosered, I'm going to give that a shot. this is exactly the kind of help I was hoping for :)

I put a folder with Direct dial shortcuts on the home screen. Two clicks for 20 of my most used numbers.

(Changing where to put each contact is a simple puzzle game too. ;) )

yep, I had put my top 7 as links on my right hand screen all by themselves. Eventually I might want that space so I was hoping for another solution. I think putting them into a folder should keep it tidy though so thanks for that.

Upvote 0
Lol.... I love it as well. I am a sad ar*e about apps too. Got mega excited earlier when I discovered that you could change the colour of your LED light, firstly with Handcent then I added Blink. The only things I have to worry about is firstly annoying my husband by telling him how wonderful my X10 is (meaning :p better than your Iphone 3gs) and at what point I will run out of space for downloading more apps!

Glad to have been of help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones