• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fastest kernel to date...

ive been reading and trying to find the best lag fix or kernal to install... just afraid that i dont wanna brick my phone hehe. i cant boot into download/recovery mode wit 3 button combo... im currently running dg's aosp beta 3 rom and loving it. just wanted to speed things by finding a lag fix but still unsure... should i just leave it since i cant boot into dl or should i try to install a lag fix???

Upvote 0
just afraid that i dont wanna brick my phone... im currently running dg's aosp beta 3 rom

You already took that risk install a rom, i used the universal lagfix from setiron's kernel around a dozen times and nothing went wrong. It backs up all of the files to your sd card, changes the file system, and copies it back.
The universal lagfix is pretty much best lagfix out there, it's highly customizable.

Upvote 0
The Di11i ROM was awesome- for about 8-10 hours then it shut itself down and stuck itself in a boot loop. Back to stock TW 2.1 I went, yay.

I have yet to have a custom ROM run reliably even though I master clear and return as close to bare bones stock as possible before loading them.

Gognition for 2.1 (don't know which version)- Crashed immediately upon the first boot.
Gognition 2.2BETA9.1.3 (yeah yeah, it was a Beta)- Buggy and lagged noticeably.
Di11i- Pretty, and peppy, but it crashed (unprovoked) in an afternoon and was a waste of time.

I'm beginning to think custom ROMS aren't meant for me and my phone. lol

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to think custom ROMS aren't meant for me and my phone. lol

I'm having the same problem with custom ROMs on my phone. I tried Cognition and it's a battery hog and apps crash sometimes. Then I tried Tayutama's which ran pretty good overnight, the next day it was crashing like crazy in a reboot cycle. It was a very inopportune time to crash because I missed several important phonecalls. So I'm back to stock with Odin and it runs solid.

Must be an issue with some phones and not others if you guys are having luck.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem with custom ROMs on my phone. I tried Cognition and it's a battery hog and apps crash sometimes. Then I tried Tayutama's which ran pretty good overnight, the next day it was crashing like crazy in a reboot cycle. It was a very inopportune time to crash because I missed several important phonecalls. So I'm back to stock with Odin and it runs solid.

Must be an issue with some phones and not others if you guys are having luck.

Im on my second go round with Tayutama's ROM with the setiron kernel. I have had no problems at all, and all told, I've probably logged a week with this set up.

I have also used 5 or 6 different Cognition Betas with no major problems.

I wonder if you are doing something that is causing your problems, or if it is your hardware. Seems odd that certain phones are ok with the froyo Roms, but others aren't. Although I wouldn't be surprised if samsung has tweaked the phone to make it less developer friendly for at&t.

Upvote 0
Im on my second go round with Tayutama's ROM with the setiron kernel. I have had no problems at all, and all told, I've probably logged a week with this set up.

I have also used 5 or 6 different Cognition Betas with no major problems.

I wonder if you are doing something that is causing your problems, or if it is your hardware. Seems odd that certain phones are ok with the froyo Roms, but others aren't. Although I wouldn't be surprised if samsung has tweaked the phone to make it less developer friendly for at&t.

I am suspecting that some of us got difficult phones. Mine was in the first batch released, I got it right after the phone was launched. None of the GPS fixes ever worked for me. The JH7 update failed so I had to use Kies Mini. Cognition ran like crap. Tayutama's ran good for several hours then crapped out. I'm very computer literate if that means anything at all. I've followed the directions well and just haven't had good luck with the custom ROMs. The fact that the OEM ROMs run solid make me think that the phone is OK. And perhaps Samsung is trying to workaround whatever shortcomings my model of phone has and hence we've been waiting forever for Froyo.

Upvote 0
I installed this ROM killer23d's ROM and really like what's been done with it. The only exception is ADW as the main UI skin. I dropped Launcherpro down on top of it (so-to-speak) so for the most part, all is well but I still want to get rid of ADW as it's constantly running behind the scenes, draining battery power.

I tried using conventional methods to get rid of ADW, but it just won't go away.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Ryan

Upvote 0
I am suspecting that some of us got difficult phones. Mine was in the first batch released, I got it right after the phone was launched. None of the GPS fixes ever worked for me. The JH7 update failed so I had to use Kies Mini. Cognition ran like crap. Tayutama's ran good for several hours then crapped out. I'm very computer literate if that means anything at all. I've followed the directions well and just haven't had good luck with the custom ROMs. The fact that the OEM ROMs run solid make me think that the phone is OK. And perhaps Samsung is trying to workaround whatever shortcomings my model of phone has and hence we've been waiting forever for Froyo.

FWIW I have one of the early batches too. Mine has an early July build date IIRC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones