• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fatality: 2019

Celebrated American writer Russell Baker, a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, died on Monday at 93. His column appeared in newspapers for 36 years.

Here’s one of his better-known columns for those so interested: https://www.nytimes.com/1983/12/25/magazine/sunday-observer-fruitcake-is-forever.html

RIP, Mr. Baker, and thanks for sharing your gift with us.
Just came here to post this link.

His commentary about President Reagan visiting Mammoth Cave, and the bald eagle, are priceless.

RIP.

Upvote 0
Here’s an excerpt from a recent article (the broader thrust of which is they want to complete the investigation that led to his suspension):

“Coughlin was suspended last Thursday by SafeSport -- an organization tasked with investigating reports of sexual misconduct within the national governing bodies for Olympic sports -- while it continued to look into complaints made about him. USA Today reported earlier this month that three people have accused Coughlin of sexual misconduct, and at least two of them were minors.”

Here’s the article link if you want to read it all: http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...nvestigation-completed-us-figure-skating-says

Regardless of the truth of the allegations, it’s a tragic story ending up with a death-too-young by a talented young man. It’s a shame that his life ended in this way.
Thanks for the info.

Tragic, indeed.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
I feel like I've made the list… .lol… flu's a beech! pardon the french. popping in to say hey. going back to bed… .
Oh, no. Hope you're taking good care of yourself.

The flu is nothing to take lightly. If you're not getting better soon, or if your symptoms worsen, seek medical care ASAP!

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Rosemary Mariner, the first woman to pilot a tactical fighter jet, has succumbed to ovarian cancer. She was 65.

190131-rosemary-mariner-al-0758_d58e1d69275a2b45eb5af143d9f55985.fit-320w.jpg

The article linked below is a nice obit for her.

'A badass pilot': Capt. Rosemary Mariner, first woman to fly a tactical fighter jet, dies

RIP, Rosemary, and thank you for being a pioneer and pushing the limits, both on the ground and in the sky.
What plane is that? I've seen it for real but I don't remember what it's called? Looks Navy...

Upvote 0
A7 Corsair II, a medium-duty bomber for the US Navy until about 1989 when they were replaced by the F/A-18 Hornet mutlirole Fighter/Attack plane.

The A7 was a maintenance nightmare, from what I heard, and it was called the purple people eater because of the location of the fueling port ("Fuellies" wore purple on the flight deck) in relation to the intake, that big mouth-looking hole on the underside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
John Dingell, longest-serving member of Congress, has died at 92.

Former Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., the longest-serving member of Congress who played a key role in many pieces of landmark legislation, has died at the age of 92, according to NBC affiliate WDIV. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If I may, a belated mention for the Swiss actor Bruno Ganz who died last Friday 16th Jan, also at 77.

Most famous for his brilliant performance as Hitler in Downfall (2004), a terrific movie when you're in the mood, and which apparently later spawned many memes, gif's, parodies etc

Interestingly I read here he suspected Hitler had Parkinson's disease while he studied him over 4 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47264709

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones