1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
  1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

I agree with your comments regarding Carl Reiner, @rootabaga. Nicely said.

I've been revisiting The Dick Van Dyke Show over the last few months. It's on MeTV on Sundays, two episodes back-to-back, which I record. Its humor is truly timeless. And it's never ugly. Or vulgar.

No, I'm no prude. The f-bomb flies out of my mouth with alarming regularity. And I loved naughty, often lewd comedians such as Richard Pryor and George Carlin [and I'll bet I'd have loved Lenny Bruce, too, if I'd been older].

But there's something really nice, really refreshing, about a sitcom whose writing and acting are so good, and its characters so relatable, that you don't need or miss cussing, sexual innuendo, insults, hurt feelings, and so on.

Thanks to Desi Arnaz, whose foresight pioneered filming and preserving TV shows, we'll have gems like I Love Lucy and TDVDS to enjoy again and again, though their stars may be gone.

joe71 and rootabaga like this.
  2. MoodyBlues

Legendary TV personality, Hugh Downs, has died at 99.

Downs hosted the Today show, as well as some game shows back in the '50s and '60s. He was very likeable, and trustworthy.

RIP...

joe71 and rootabaga like this.
  3. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Enthusiast

99, wow.

RIP, Mr. Downs. Thanks for sharing your talents for so very long..

#178 rootabaga, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. rootabaga

joe71 and MoodyBlues like this.
  5. rootabaga

MoodyBlues, lunatic59 and Madasa like this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

7. rootabaga

^^^ Wow, that's another tough one.

While perhaps not his biggest hit, one of my personal favorites of his was "Uneasy Rider..."

lunatic59 likes this.
  8. rootabaga

Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon has been found dead in the mountains north of the South Korean capital. Circumstances suggest he took his own life. He was 64. :(

Suicide is never the best choice...please reach out if you are contemplating it.

joe71 and MoodyBlues like this.
  9. rootabaga

Actor Kelly Preston (perhaps better known to the younger set as Mrs. John Travolta) has lost her battle with breast cancer. She was 57.

RIP, Kelly, and thanks for sharing your talents. Condolences to your friends, family and loved ones.

One of many articles about her: https://people.com/movies/kelly-preston-dies-of-breast-cancer-at-57/

10. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

MoodyBlues, rootabaga and ocnbrze like this.
  11. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

MoodyBlues and Milo Willamson like this.
  12. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

That one stings. He was a foundation cast member of one of my favorite shows. :(

Grant, blow something up in heaven for me.

13. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

great conversation from adam savage:

lunatic59 and MoodyBlues like this.
  14. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

I am not sure if it was posted already by Actress Naya Rivera best Known from Glee died due to what Authorities are saying was an accidental drowning

rootabaga and ocnbrze like this.
  15. MoodyBlues

Legendary TV host Regis Philbin has died, a month shy of 89. Natural causes, apparently.

RIP, Regis. You'll be missed.

ocnbrze, rootabaga and Madasa like this.
  16. I knew of him and his morning show (with ...) from a trip to the US in the nineties, and several self - effacing comedic appearances since. Great guy.

To compound a bad day, Peter Green, co - founder of 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac featuring Jeremy Spencer' in 1967, has passed at 73. Apparently peacefully in his sleep, with more information in a few days.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...-founder-dies-at-73/ar-BB17bjFZ?ocid=msedgdhp

I was and am a big fan of the Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham years, but well appreciate those early tracks ala Albatross.

Very sad.

MoodyBlues, ocnbrze and rootabaga like this.
  17. MoodyBlues

Yes, I was sad to hear about Peter Green, too. I'm a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but really mostly from their best-known configuration.

By the way, Stevie Nicks and I attended the same high school [Arcadia HS], though she was there before me.

Milo Willamson and Madasa like this.
  18. rootabaga

Olivia de Havilland has left us at 104. She was the last remaining star of Gone With the Wind and received her two acting Oscars after helping to take down Hollywood’s studio system with a landmark legal victory in the 1940s. She died Sunday at her Paris home of natural causes.

RIP, Ms. de Havilland. Thank you for sharing your talents and having the courage to fight the oppressive studio system of Hollywood’s earlier dark days.

olbriar, MoodyBlues and Madasa like this.
  19. MoodyBlues

I just read about de Havilland's death. What an amazing, long, productive life she lived! We're blessed to have her film work, which will be enjoyed for generations to come.

Madasa and olbriar like this.
  20. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Draghetti Wow heard this on twitter, about Robetro's death, better hughe in voice actor roles primarly, but massive roles in a few dozen movies, may our hearts reach to his family in this time in need.

21. rootabaga

Reese Schonfeld has died at 88 from complications of Alzheimer's disease. A television journalist, Mr. Schonfeld founded The Food Network and teamed up with Ted Turner to found CNN in 1980.

RIP, Mr. Schonfeld, and thanks for your contributions to the world of news.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  22. rootabaga

Tea party fan (and former GOP presidential hopeful) Herman Cain died yesterday as a result of complications from Covid-19. He was 74.

RIP, Mr. Cain, and condolences to your family, friends and loved ones.

23. MoodyBlues

I understand that he attended Trump's recent rally. You know, the one with no masks.

Not a hoax.

RIP, Mr Cain.

24. Director Sir Alan Parker at 76 after a long illness. .

I drove him on 2 or 3 days in the Nineties. Still seems to have an Irish girlfriend he had then in later years.

Bugsy Malone, Fame, Midnight Express, Mississipi Burning, Evita.

A great legacy. Great movies.

R. I. P.

(I should have checked Wiki, he did in fact marry Lisa Moran at some point.)

#199 Madasa, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  25. rootabaga

Add to the 2020 list the terrific Wilford Brimley, with whom I first fell in love (as an actor) back in 86 on the show “Our House.”

Loved him in everything he did. He was 85 and died of natural causes.

RIP, good sir, and thanks for so many wonderful roles.

MoodyBlues and dontpanicbobby like this.