• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fattin Hotspot (Beta) - Earn revenue for sharing your hotspot

narkot

Lurker
Sep 23, 2012
DESCRIPTION

I have created an application/service that allows you charge people who use your phone's hotspot. It works by adding a pay-wall to your existing Android hotspot. This is similar to a hotspot that you would find in an airport or a cafe which prompts you to pay in order to use the internet, only this time, you're the one doing the charging :)

To try this app, install it, then run it in a public place where people would usually pay for accessing a hotspot (say a cafe), and people accessing your hotspot would be greeted with a page like this:

portal1.png

After signing-up and adding credit, your visitors will be able to access the internet:

portal2.png

As for your end, the app will let you know how many AUTHORIZED / UNAUTHORIZED clients are connected. "AUTHORIZED" will mean that you are earning revenue for every-minute that the client is using your hotspot. "UNAUTHORIZED" means that the client is still pondering whether to purchase or not :thinking:

The price/hour is up to you, so if your clients keep lengering as "UNAUTHORIZED", you might want to lower the price down from within the app's settings.

REQUIREMENTS

As you might expect, root permissions are required in order to do this. In addition, your device needs to have the built-in Android hotspot. You will have no control on how much data your users consume, so even though it's not a requirement, it's recommended that you have an unlimited data plan, or at least make sure you don't get charged per MB after you exceed your limit.

PAYMENT PROCESSOR

The app is free, and there is no up-front cost to use the service. The fees will simply be a percentage of your earnings.

Currently, your clients can pay you with PayPal (though they don't need a PayPal account, they can enter a credit-card directly). However, you will need a PayPal account to receive your earnings.

DOWNLOADING THE APP

Request a beta from fattin.com

I didn't release this app in the Google Play Store yet, this is because there is a back-end site/api to handle billing for your clients, and I still have no idea what real-world load to expect. So if you are willing to join and test the app, then please request a beta and I'll send you a download link. If you're on a CDMA network, that's a plus cause I've yet to test that, but it should work fine.

NOTE: Any app-name suggestions are welcome, I'm drawing a blank on what to name the app in the Play Store.

Thanks

Reactions: horsecharles

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones