• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Faulty magnetometer/compass?

HHPP00

Jun 17, 2011
I've downloaded the 'compass' and 'Google Sky Map' applications and have found them to be rather jerky on my Desire S. In Google Sky Map the effect is particularly noticeable, with the map being very jumpy and unstable when moving the phone around.
Could I have a faulty magnetometer? Or can someone download Google Sky Map and confirm this is a general flaw with the Desire S?

You can adjust the sensor speed within Google Sky Map. Start up the app, Menu > Settings > Sensor Settings. This will make things smoother.

I don't know which compass app you have, but in the one I have there are similar settings for altering the sensitivity. I'm also able to calibrate the magnetometer at any time.

Upvote 0
I've tried all different permutations of the settings in Google Sky Map and it's still pretty jerky. Increasing the sensor speed makes things a little smoother, but still poor in comparison to similar apps I've seen on other smartphones.

I've tried a few other compass apps now and they do seem stable. Maybe the first one I downloaded was crap...

Upvote 0
I also found Google Sky a little jerky and unstable/inaccurate. The way around this is to disable the compass and use your location instead, this will make it smoother and more accurate.

How will disabling the compass help? Can GPS tell which direction the phone is facing in as well as your location?

I am having similar issues with my xperia M. Compass app seems slow to respond and both Google Sky Map and SKeYe are both jerky and drift, ie. it seems to drift to the right if you hold it still sometimes. I have tried it both inside and outside.

I can't work out how to get compass mode in Google maps to work, not sure if I should use Maps or Earth, I would have thought both...?

Android 4.1.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones