• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite apps for HUAWEI ASCEND users!

What's your favorite App from the Market? Also, it would be nice to tell us why! :)

• Total voters
Ok, I've put on enough ROMs on now and started my phone fresh enough times that I finally have some app preferences that I feel good about...

Z4root and superuser - on CM7 I don't need these, but they ARE awesome.
Titanium Backup Pro (and now Titanium Media Sync, since I just wiped out my SD card) - God, what an app.
Juice Defender Ultimate - Greatest app ever. Honestly.
CacheMate - App Killers did me more harm than good, I came to realize.
Fancy Widget Pro - Beautiful Widgets finally drove me over the edge with the bugginess.
Power Widget - I REALLY like my giant PW options bar.
LauncherPro - Took me a bit to really give it an honest go. Now I must have it.
Opera - The only browser I can find that I can read all my online comics on in focus after expanding images. Plus, I like the speed, and don't need the Skyfire flash workaround.
eBuddy - I'm an IM whore.
Wheres My Droid - Found my phone in a friend's car couple weeks ago.
gReader Pro - Gotta have my feeds.
MailDroid - K-9 gave me more false new email notices with my half a dozen accounts, though I'm still looking for a better email client.
Google TV Remote - Hell, I reach for my phone before reaching for my Revue remote these days.
Google Maps - I live around DC. Traffic layer. Nuff said.
AdFree Android - I'll support on my own terms. I'm not shy to donate.
ChromeMarks, Evernote, Dropbox, WolframAlpha - Too handy not to have.
Flicks Watcher for Netflix - I check this daily. A complete list of new movies added to instant watch, and the ability to add them to my queue. That's it, but that's exactly what I want.

If I get no other apps, these are all I really need or want. Pretty much everything else is play time.

Reactions: Worldgod and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Waze: Community GPS/Navigator, user-generated traffic info, speed traps, police traps, construction zones, etc...

So far that is the only app I use on a regular basis. Only downfall is that it kills your battery in about an hour and a half.

Oh yeah, I also love all the GO apps. GoLauncher, GoSMS, GoContacts, GoFBChat.

I can't believe I forgot Kindle for Android. I wouldn't be able to get through a day at work without it!

And of course... Phandroid. How else would I be able to be reminded daily that Cricket is so greedy. LOL

Unrooted (so far...)

Upvote 0
Ok, I've put on enough ROMs on now and started my phone fresh enough times that I finally have some app preferences that I feel good about...

Z4root and superuser - on CM7 I don't need these, but they ARE awesome.
Titanium Backup Pro (and now Titanium Media Sync, since I just wiped out my SD card) - God, what an app.
Juice Defender Ultimate - Greatest app ever. Honestly.
CacheMate - App Killers did me more harm than good, I came to realize.
Fancy Widget Pro - Beautiful Widgets finally drove me over the edge with the bugginess.
Power Widget - I REALLY like my giant PW options bar.
LauncherPro - Took me a bit to really give it an honest go. Now I must have it.
Opera - The only browser I can find that I can read all my online comics on in focus after expanding images. Plus, I like the speed, and don't need the Skyfire flash workaround.
eBuddy - I'm an IM whore.
Wheres My Droid - Found my phone in a friend's car couple weeks ago.
gReader Pro - Gotta have my feeds.
MailDroid - K-9 gave me more false new email notices with my half a dozen accounts, though I'm still looking for a better email client.
Google TV Remote - Hell, I reach for my phone before reaching for my Revue remote these days.
Google Maps - I live around DC. Traffic layer. Nuff said.
AdFree Android - I'll support on my own terms. I'm not shy to donate.
ChromeMarks, Evernote, Dropbox, WolframAlpha - Too handy not to have.
Flicks Watcher for Netflix - I check this daily. A complete list of new movies added to instant watch, and the ability to add them to my queue. That's it, but that's exactly what I want.

If I get no other apps, these are all I really need or want. Pretty much everything else is play time.

A very nice selection of apps,especially WOLFRAM ALPHA,VERY COOL APP.

I would like to ask if you would share your set-up on JUICE DEFENDER.Most of us here have tried it (myself included)& didn't care for some of the effects it had on our phone.
I'd be willing to give JUICE DEFENDER another shot if you've found a set-up that works w/no ill effects,namely 1X/3G data issues.THANK YOU.

Upvote 0
I would like to ask if you would share your set-up on JUICE DEFENDER.Most of us here have tried it (myself included)& didn't care for some of the effects it had on our phone.
I'd be willing to give JUICE DEFENDER another shot if you've found a set-up that works w/no ill effects,namely 1X/3G data issues.THANK YOU.

I had issues, too. I was kinda scratching my head about it, so jumped in feet first and bought the ultimate for the added options. So now I had everything, and opened every option and tab. I read the hell out of each description, and finally figured out where I was getting screwed. It really works great, it just takes patience to make your way through the massive, complex options. The thing that got me first was that many options are locked by other ones. Really, they should have a site devoted to this thing.

I didn't know other folks had the same issues as me. I'll go through all the options sometime this week and make a little guide of what I had to do to get it running smooth. I'll downgrade it to free, and go from there.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I had issues, too. I was kinda scratching my head about it, so jumped in feet first and bought the ultimate for the added options. So now I had everything, and opened every option and tab. I read the hell out of each description, and finally figured out where I was getting screwed. It really works great, it just takes patience to make your way through the massive, complex options. The thing that got me first was that many options are locked by other ones. Really, they should have a site devoted to this thing.

I didn't know other folks had the same issues as me. I'll go through all the options sometime this week and make a little guide of what I had to do to get it running smooth. I'll downgrade it to free, and go from there.

I'll go for it & buy ULTIMATE JUICE.A good number of people here already have it,so,we're ready when you are.

Upvote 0
Mine are pretty simple I'm still looking for more but I have issues with it slowing up my phone.

Kindle: I love reading books to put me to sleep. And I can order it on amazon.com and have it sent straight to my phone.

Bartender: I have a lot of parties in college and this thing rocks for drink recipes.

Best Parking: A blessing because I work in downtown Chicago.

Discount Calculator: I can never figure out percentages and this is perfect for sales and tax calculations.

DoubleTwist (music/video player): I don't do much with music I just sync from my computer and play. This works good for that and videos.

FBreader (a eReader app): Now I have Kindle but I decided to be cheap one day and found a website that you can download free ebooks from. But, the problem was Kindle couldn't read 'em. So I downloaded this and it reads just about any and everything (I used .epub files). I ended up with a whole Stephen King, James Rollins, & Clive Cussler collection on my PHONE...for free (about a hundred books all together).

File Manager: Good to find lost files. I've had issues with pictures I want to put on my phone's background and couldn't find 'em.

FriendCaster: PERFECT REPLACEMENT FOR FACEBOOK. It basically is Facebook but just not the standard Facebook App. It does everything the Facebook app is supposed to. I don't have Froyo so I can't sync my Facebook account with my phone. But, this app sends notifications to my phone whenever anything happens on my FB account. Including Birthdays first thing in the morning. I'm not sure what the stock Facebook app can do cuz I got rid of that thing a loooooooooooong time ago. But, this one can:

- Post video and photos a lot quicker (including groups to create an album)
- not to mention the notifications again that popup like texts where you can respond to the comment or whatever right there and it'll be sent to FB.
- Check-in
- view and "like" comments on your page or someone elses.
- you can see who "like" your comment or status.
- change your profile pic a lot quicker and easier.
- view videos from other peoples pages and ur own.
- and much more.

Handcent: Good texting app. Haven't had a problem with it.

GoogleSkyMap: Great date app. My gf loves it on a clear night.

GoogleMaps: A Godsend! I don't have a car but this thing can track me by bus anywhere I need to go just as long as there is a bus in the area.

SportsTalk: I am a profootballtalk.com NUT! It has all the stories including stories for basketball, baseball, and hockey.

Pulse: Great news app. I have all my news sites all linked to this and I wake up every morning and check the headlines using this. ESPN CNN TMZ E! MTV NEWS MACWORLD

SpoofApp: O this is freaking hilarious. You can call someone and disguise your voice using this. I scare a lot of people with it.

SaveMMS: for some reason I couldn't save any kind of pictures or videos I got from Handcent or the regular messaging app. But, wit this I can save just about anything.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I know I've seen dozens of posts like this but is there one for the Ascend that keeps my battery from draining?
Hi there,
I have a different phone, but I've read enough about juice defender and other similar apps to think very little of them. I also avoid task killers - I have a shortcut to manage apps on my screen, and close them if needed.
Consider toggling on and off wifi, mobile data, and gps to prolong batter. The brightness on your screen makes a difference, as do the number of active widgets.
I use Tasker to make profiles. I click the home button, and mobile data's off, the wifi's off if the screen's off, etc. I click bed and all data is disabled besides the ability to get emergency phone calls. Has extended by battery life immeasurably.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Well, I need my JuiceDefender, it almost doubles the life of my battery, and I don't have time to manage the settings, update the things I want to check, then shut it all off during my workday (I work outdoors all day, and usually don't take breaks). I like waking my phone up, and seeing everything updated and synced, and my battery still way up there.

Upvote 0
So i just downlaoded that app "Custom Launcher Icons" And i like the things that it shows, so i downloaded a dock, on the top right corner, and then went to launcher pro prefernces, then Appearance setings, and to Dock backround and chose custom and picked out the one i downloaded from earlier and it appeared on my homeScreens but it was like just there, the buttons on there did not do anything, is there a way to change the settings so the downloaded dock buttons would work again?

Upvote 0
Well while i don't mess with Launcher Pro or Zeam, so i could not help you much on that. However if you like making custom docks and what not why don't you try GO Launcher EX. Its awesome, as many custom screens as you want, and 3 scrollable dock bars that you can fully customize. Plus they probably have one of the best collections of Free Themes.

Upvote 0
Well while i don't mess with Launcher Pro or Zeam, so i could not help you much on that. However if you like making custom docks and what not why don't you try GO Launcher EX. Its awesome, as many custom screens as you want, and 3 scrollable dock bars that you can fully customize. Plus they probably have one of the best collections of Free Themes.

that is true but i have experience with lag over a month using it, but at first it was amazing but its just not my choice, thanks though

Upvote 0
Hey everyone - new Android owner and I have a question. I have a web based radio station that is available off the Tunein application. I have tried multiple bitrate streams and am getting buffering about every 60 seconds. Multiple stations on the same app are doing the same thing. Is there anything I can do to resolve this. Do any of you use the Tunein app?
Does my station buffer on that app on your phone too?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Chris
Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music!

Upvote 0
Hey everyone - new Android owner and I have a question. I have a web based radio station that is available off the Tunein application. I have tried multiple bitrate streams and am getting buffering about every 60 seconds. Multiple stations on the same app are doing the same thing. Is there anything I can do to resolve this. Do any of you use the Tunein app?
Does my station buffer on that app on your phone too?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Chris
Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music!
I used to use tunein (till i just loaded the phone with my own music). I had the same problem except not as frequent as 60 seconds. I noticed that when I had 3 or more bars it would be ok, but when I had less than that, it would buffer more often. ALSO...A major battery killer for MY ascend (all ascends are different) I would suggest having decent reception and plugging the phone in. OR, do what I did get a bigger sd, and get your own music collection.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Words with friends will not work on my wifes ascend to save her life, i've tryed uninstalling and reinstalling it numerous times. No matter what we do it still says network error cannot login. Yet she has her wifi connected!? So wtf? BTW shes trying to make a new account. any help? :mad::thinking:

I downloaded it from market, put my email address in the login, chose a user name, and it started right up. I'd suggest unistalling and making sure it didn't leave anything behind on your phone before redownloading it from market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones