• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite Cuisines

What're your favorite cuisines?

• African (ex. South African, Egyptian, Moroccan)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • American (ex. BBQ, Cajun)

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • British

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Central American (ex. Costa Rican, Guatemalan)

• Chinese

• Eastern European (ex. Czech, Polish)

• Filipino

• French

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • German

• Greek

• Hawaiian

• Indian

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Italian

• Japanese

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Korean

• Mediterranean

• Mexican

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Middle Eastern

• Mongolian

• Moroccan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russian

• Scandinavian (ex. Danish, Swedish)

• South American (ex. Argentinian, Colombian)

• Spanish

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Taiwanese

• Thai

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Vietnamese

• Other

• Total voters
Are we talking about Americanized food here or authentic food? I love Americanized Chinese food. I grew up on authentic Italian so it's def up there for me. My favorite however is a good old steak cooked medium-rare. Nothing will touch that for me.

Well I guess it can be either Americanized or authentic. The vast majority of Americans only know the Americanized version. True authentic Chinese food is quite different.

Upvote 0
Well I guess it can be either Americanized or authentic. The vast majority of Americans only know the Americanized version. True authentic Chinese food is quite different.

Quite true. I have always heard that for Americans the best Chinese food is in Japan. I'm not sure I could eat real Chinese food, the Americanized version is great though. I will say that I like American Italian and traditional Italian equally though. Fettuccine Alfredo mmmmmmmmmm :D

Upvote 0
I used to work in a chinese restaurant and they'd always serve us the real stuff for us for dinner. Pepper steak made with jalapenos with all the seeds and tons of garlic. Yum yum! It will smoke your hair! Deep fried batter dipped ribs are just awesome. Oh and I really love the red braised beef with turnips and star anise. It has such an interesting rich flavor...certainly not your usual sweet and sour whatever.

Upvote 0
Quite true. I have always heard that for Americans the best Chinese food is in Japan. I'm not sure I could eat real Chinese food, the Americanized version is great though. I will say that I like American Italian and traditional Italian equally though. Fettuccine Alfredo mmmmmmmmmm :D

I much rather prefer sauces that are true Italian. Alfredo and Marinara... bleh. Alfredo doesn't exist in Italy and Americanized Marinara is hugely different from Italian Marinara.

Something I wish that Italian restaurants would serve is Bruschetta (pronounced: broo-sketta, not broo-shetta) instead of garlic bread sticks as free appetizer.

Upvote 0
I much rather prefer sauces that are true Italian. Alfredo and Marinara... bleh. Alfredo doesn't exist in Italy and Americanized Marinara is hugely different from Italian Marinara.

Something I wish that Italian restaurants would serve is Bruschetta (pronounced: broo-sketta, not broo-shetta) instead of garlic bread sticks as free appetizer.

Oh, they have Alfredo in Italy and they make it very well. My girlfriend was born and raised just outside of Rome. She makes some of the best Alfredo sauces and tomato meat sauces that I have ever had in my life. She was given the recipes for both from her mother, who got them from her mother. Last time I was there, we had Alfredo in two of the restaurants we ate at. We also taught them how to make garlic bread. :D They loved it.

I do hate American Marinara though. I was never served Brushetta when I was there. We mostly had a loaf of bread with oil and vinegar on the side.

The last meal I had in Rome was crazy. I ordered roasted chicken and spaghetti with meat sauce. What I received was a whole chicken and about a 12 quart bowl of spaghetti smothered in meat sauce with a full bottle of wine. It was amazingly good and I thought I was going to die when I finished eating. :D

Upvote 0
Oh, they have Alfredo in Italy and they make it very well. My girlfriend was born and raised just outside of Rome. She makes some of the best Alfredo sauces and tomato meat sauces that I have ever had in my life. She was given the recipes for both from her mother, who got them from her mother. Last time I was there, we had Alfredo in two of the restaurants we ate at. We also taught them how to make garlic bread. :D They loved it.

I do hate American Marinara though. I was never served Brushetta when I was there. We mostly had a loaf of bread with oil and vinegar on the side.

The last meal I had in Rome was crazy. I ordered roasted chicken and spaghetti with meat sauce. What I received was a whole chicken and about a 12 quart bowl of spaghetti smothered in meat sauce with a full bottle of wine. It was amazingly good and I thought I was going to die when I finished eating. :D

I shouldn't have said that it doesn't exist. It does... but the Alfredo that we know in America doesn't exist in Italy. In any real Italian cookbook, alfredo sauce isn't existent. I've talked with several of my Italian professors at my school at a potluck and they all said it's not Italian. What my favorite Italian professor, Ermanno Conti, once said... "No Italian would ever say: "Vorrei fettucine alfredo per favore." I guess a way to compare this is saying "Marinara sauce exists in Italy, but nothing like you know it to be like in America." It's like how many of our Americanized Chinese food doesn't exist in China. My really close Chinese friend (from Qingdao) said that there is orange chicken in China, but if you expect it to be like the one here, you'll be disappointed. She calls it "dried orange peel chicken", but in chinese of course.

Upvote 0
I find that people from all over the world are equally tasty. ;)

Seriously, I eat Chinese at least once a week. My girlfriend is Italian and my neighbors are Indian, French, Japanese, Mexican and Guatemalan so we all trade dishes on a regular basis. We also have Greek, Hungarian, Korean and Colombian families that we trade recipes with. We just recently started a sort of pot luck dinner every Sunday where we pick names from a hat and take that person's dish home for dinner. We haven't had a bad meal yet.

perhaps you could share some of these recipes.

Upvote 0
I shouldn't have said that it doesn't exist. It does... but the Alfredo that we know in America doesn't exist in Italy. In any real Italian cookbook, alfredo sauce isn't existent. I've talked with several of my Italian professors at my school at a potluck and they all said it's not Italian. What my favorite Italian professor, Ermanno Conti, once said... "No Italian would ever say: "Vorrei fettucine alfredo per favore." I guess a way to compare this is saying "Marinara sauce exists in Italy, but nothing like you know it to be like in America." It's like how many of our Americanized Chinese food doesn't exist in China. My really close Chinese friend (from Qingdao) said that there is orange chicken in China, but if you expect it to be like the one here, you'll be disappointed. She calls it "dried orange peel chicken", but in chinese of course.

Ok, I see what you are saying. My "mother-in-law" calls her sauce something cream sauce in Italian (I have tried to learn and I just butcher the language) and they always serve it with beef or chicken mixed in. She loves it though. There are a whole bunch of things that we do to Italian food that they don't ever do. Pepperoni on pizza is not very common, garlic bread is non-existent, wine glasses are uncommon (juice glasses are normal), etc.

I actually watched a really cool show on Food Network or the Travel Channel that talked about a lot of this. How every type of cuisine in this country is a little Americanized because the original immigrants did not have the same ingredients in this country as they did back home. Some things were improvised and some were just made up. In China and Thailand they serve scorpions and tarantulas on sticks as snacks. You would never get the majority of Americans to eat anything like that, but over there I understand it is very popular.

perhaps you could share some of these recipes.

Sure, I will get some from my girl and post them. Any cuisine in particular that you want?

Upvote 0
Ok, I see what you are saying. My "mother-in-law" calls her sauce something cream sauce in Italian (I have tried to learn and I just butcher the language) and they always serve it with beef or chicken mixed in. She loves it though. There are a whole bunch of things that we do to Italian food that they don't ever do. Pepperoni on pizza is not very common, garlic bread is non-existent, wine glasses are uncommon (juice glasses are normal), etc.

Oh definitely not pepperoni on pizza. Pepperoni in Italian means "peppers". That's it. lol It would basically be asking for peppers on your pizza. There's no "Pepperoni" equivalent in Italy.

One of the things that we talked about in one of my Italian classes was cuisine. We talked quite a bit about misconceptions... and pepperoni, alfredo sauce, and marinari were some of the things we talked about. Another thing is that the garlic bread we have here is so heavy compared to real Italian garlic bread, which is basically bread (I forgot which kind) with garlic clove rubbed on and a drizzle of olive oil. None of the heavy, greasy stuff we have.

One of the best things that I've ever had were these rosemary potatoes in a restaurant in Florence. I was just expecting tasty potatoes and then BAM! potatoes that were on the orgasmic level. I need to get back there! I tried several different ones here and couldn't reproduce the same effect.

Also...It would be cool if we could have a Recipes subforum of some kind. Just an idea. I know that we already have so many subforums in The Lounge, hehe.

Upvote 0
For me it goes..

Italian - I am Italian.. woohoo so great cooking is in my blood. I mean that, I'm awesome in the kitchen.

American - I love me some BBQ.

Mexican - Grew up with a lot of Mexican friends.. and man.. their mom's... greatest Mexican food ever... seriously.

Greek - I love greek food at a good greek restaurant. Eff the gyro's, give me some Lemon Soup, Nagasaki cheese(opa!), and Grecian style lamb chops & potatoes and I'm good to go.

Chinese - Meh, occasionally, but only from China Town.

Thai - Occasionally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones