• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite website completly freezes Droid

HOTHEAD

Nov 6, 2009
The only reason I purchased the Droid was because of all the hype of the browsing ability. So I dumped my Dare and decided to upgrade, well most of the sites I like are no problem (news, cnn, fox, local weather radar, ect). Well long story short, I'm also a big fan of the glocktalk.com web forum. This is just another forum site, not really any different than this site. EVERY time I try and even view the site, it completly freezes my droid. I can't even stop the browser, no back, no menu stop, no voice search, nothing. The only thing that works is a battery pull and when I power back up my browser returns to Google. I've even powered down with the button and when I powered back up my browser tried to return to the site and froze again.

Anyone else have simmilar issues with sites you like? The site is pretty basic, no video or any other taxing features.

Bottom line is that all phones suck..at least my luck with them.

HOTHEAD

No I have not. I will give that a shot.

I will read up on those, am I correct in that they are probably a downloadable app?
Once I install one of them, if they work, is there a way to remove the default browser?

Another question I had was if I enable my wifi, does my browser automatically default to my wifi connection?
I'm sorry about the multiple questions, this is my first smartphone, so I really don't know what to expect it to be capable of.

Thank you for the help
HOTHEAD

Upvote 0
Yes, they both are available in the market.

I don't think you can uninstall the native browser (and I wouldn't advise doing that anyway), but you can remove the icon from your home screen and make another browser your default.

As far as wifi, I don't use it much but I'm pretty sure it will choose wifi over 3g if a network is available and you have wifi enabled

Upvote 0
The only reason I purchased the Droid was because of all the hype of the browsing ability. So I dumped my Dare and decided to upgrade, well most of the sites I like are no problem (news, cnn, fox, local weather radar, ect). Well long story short, I'm also a big fan of the glocktalk.com web forum. This is just another forum site, not really any different than this site. EVERY time I try and even view the site, it completly freezes my droid. I can't even stop the browser, no back, no menu stop, no voice search, nothing. The only thing that works is a battery pull and when I power back up my browser returns to Google. I've even powered down with the button and when I powered back up my browser tried to return to the site and froze again.

Anyone else have simmilar issues with sites you like? The site is pretty basic, no video or any other taxing features.

Bottom line is that all phones suck..at least my luck with them.

HOTHEAD

That sucks. I haven't tried glocktalk.com since I don't have a Glock or particularly like them but thankfully arfcom does.

As for removing the default browser once installing another; it's not possible. The browser and the other default apps are built into the OS. I would love to be able to remove several of them but cant.

Also, if the WiFi is on then the 3G is disabled, I think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones