• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fb, wtf?

So someone just posted this on my wall:

ALL THE PHONE NUMBERS of your contacts from your phone are now on Facebook. Go to the top right of the screen, click on ACCOUNT, click on EDIT FRIENDS, left side of screen and click CONTACTS. You will see all phone numbers from your phone are published that you have stored in your mobile phone. TO REMOVE, go to the right column, click on "this page."

I took a look and even the people I know who don't have fb have their numbers stored there, even total strangers have numbers there that aren't on my phone!!

Facebook's phonebook fiasco | ITworld

So someone just posted this on my wall:

ALL THE PHONE NUMBERS of your contacts from your phone are now on Facebook. Go to the top right of the screen, click on ACCOUNT, click on EDIT FRIENDS, left side of screen and click CONTACTS. You will see all phone numbers from your phone are published that you have stored in your mobile phone. TO REMOVE, go to the right column, click on "this page."

I took a look and even the people I know who don't have fb have their numbers stored there, even total strangers have numbers there that aren't on my phone!!

Facebook's phonebook fiasco | ITworld

Just another reason to delete my Facebook account. How is it legal for them to do this? It really makes no sense how they can get away with this.

Upvote 0
Just another reason to delete my Facebook account. How is it legal for them to do this? It really makes no sense how they can get away with this.

I'm beginning to think that FB is the new evil, along with Apple of course!

Mine has numbers on there that have been deleted more than a year ago.

I'm trying to figure this out right now!

Upvote 0
Reactions: LECTER
Upvote 0
I wonder if this "feature" is functioning properly for some users. I looked at mine and it had only contacts of friends and family (rl contacts that I've allowed in my rl Facebook lists); nothing else and certainly not my whole Google/Gmail contact list, not even close.

Maybe. Mine had my accountant and my banking telephone number in it.

Upvote 0
snort.jpg

Reactions: B2L
Upvote 0
I have said it before and I will say it again, Facebook will ruin our society.

It is way way way too invasive in the info it has (and owns) once you click accept the terms. I deleted my account a few months back and am all the better for it. I miss being able to see what long distance friends are up to, but the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Fork Facebook.

Upvote 0
I have said it before and I will say it again, Facebook will ruin our society.

It is way way way too invasive in the info it has (and owns) once you click accept the terms. I deleted my account a few months back and am all the better for it. I miss being able to see what long distance friends are up to, but the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Fork Facebook.

"..ruin our society.."

Well, what's the worst thing that can happen, in the long, long run? Everybody on Earth knowing everything about everyone else? Bill collectors finding you? ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones