1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root FC every where with CM7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cipher6, Jun 18, 2011.

1. cipher6

cipher6 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    GIS Admin
    South Texas
    I've been running the stable CM7 on my dinc since it first came out, with no major issues. But within the last couple of days, I've been getting FC issues constantly. Reboots, battery pulls don't seem to work. And it comes and goes, sometimes it will be fine for a few hours, other times any thing I touch will FC.

I didn't make any changes or install any new apps before this happened.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. WBMc36

WBMc36 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Full time student
    Pittsburgh/Erie
    running fix permissions in rom manager might work. Then reboot afterwards, that's my only idea. I haven't had this problem on any version of CM7.

3. cipher6

None

Dec 8, 2010
    GIS Admin
    South Texas
    just did that, and rebooting now, we'll see if it helps.

4. 91Firebirder

91Firebirder Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    Male
    Metro Atlanta
    I know this thread is a couple days old but I am having a similiar issue now. Seems to start when I am using Dolphin Browser HD which crashes, and when I try to send a an error report, before I can even do that, gmail crashes. Next tried to open a gaming app, which FCed twice before I was able to open it. Been running CM7 stable for a couple weeks with no issue till Dolphin started acting up last night... any thoughts?

5. 91Firebirder

None

May 17, 2010
    Male
    Metro Atlanta
    Well, it got worse, tried a reboot and as soon as it started, everything started FCing, google framework, all my apps, extra, having to do a restore from clockwork to just a stock root. If anyone has ideas, please let me know, would prefer to go back to CM7 unless I find something else I like.

6. MuffinGod

MuffinGod Newbie
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    I was having the same issue about a week ago. Dolphin started crashing and every app I tried to run fc'd on me. It was late at night and I didn't feel like messing around, so I powered down and charged it. The next morning every thing seemed fine. Later that day the fc issues came back, fix permissions from rom manager did nothing. Long story short, I had to do a clean flash of cm7, now every thing works flawlessly. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

7. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Fresh,clean install was going to be my suggestion as well. :) also make sure you're not attempting to restore any system data with titanium. ONLY restore user apps and their data

8. ac2basis

ac2basis Member
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    This has been a constant problem for me with CM7. It just started again this morning. Check your contacts after you do a fresh install because this has erased a bunch of contacts on me in the past. I think I am going to downgrade to CM6.1 as I am tired of having to deal with this issue all the time.

9. 91Firebirder

None

May 17, 2010
    Male
    Metro Atlanta
    You are correct, not what I wanted to hear, but worth a shot. And yea, I knew, now, not to restore system data, only app stuff, learned that the hard way :cool: Thanx

10. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2010
    Student / Systems Analysis Assistant
    Flagstaff, AZ
    According to a thread on the CM forums, the contacts database can become corrupt, which in turn causes every database on the device to somehow be corrupt.

A temporary fix is to turn off contact syncing, clearing the data from "Contacts Storage" and "Google Services Framework", rebooting, and re-enabling contact sync.

This has been happening to me as well, and that temporary fix no longer works for me. I'm switching to another ROM.

Edit:
    See this thread:
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/24484-lots-of-google-framework-failuresrebooting-needed/

From the above thread:

MuffinGod likes this.
  11. crazydog

None

May 20, 2010
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Here's something I just posted on the CM forums that worked for me:

12. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    that actually worked for now. Let's see if it stays that way throughout the week.

13. stanfna

stanfna Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    i was having a similar issue and then I deleted all my SMS from Handcent and everything seems to be back to awesome.

I noticed mine started acting crazy when i got a picture SMS which is why I deleted all my SMS. so it must have something to do with available memory as stated a few posts above.

14. bydh

bydh Newbie
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    I've had this issue intermittently for the last month or so. And previously I did a couple clean reinstalls of CM7. The most recent of which was about 2 weeks ago. That seemed to fix my issues for a while, until last night, when it was starting its madness again.

If the issue is really the available space for apps on the phone versus what CM7 lets you do, I dealt with that by moving a bunch of my larger apps to the SD card, like Peggle and whatnot. As soon as I did that, the phone stopped force closing and everything started functioning normally again. So, this definitely seems like an accurate diagnosis of the root problem.

Just for clarification, does anyone know where I should look to find the available free space left on my phone for apps? I looked under Applications>>Storage Use but that gives me usage out of my total internal storage which is 748MB, as opposed to the 300MB crazydog was talking about. Which number should I be looking at? Thanks!

15. crazydog

None

May 20, 2010
    Flagstaff, AZ
    300 MB is actually too high. It's about 150 for apps and their data. If you use Root explorer, navigate to the /data/data/ folder and you'll see at the top:

148.95 MB used, 48K free, r/w

With the numbers different based on your usage. That's the *real* amount of storage. As you can tell, I am out of room and getting force closes as I speak. Time to move/uninstall some apps. :p

bydh likes this.
  16. bydh

bydh Newbie
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    alright, sounds good. I guess I'd need to get root explorer for that, though. I figure, I'll just start deleting/moving apps whenever I start getting FCs. Thanks.

17. ArmchairBear

ArmchairBear Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    I'm throwing in my suggested solution in here: Wipe dalvik cache and wipe cache partition once a week.

Theory Explanation:
    Back when I flashed a new nightly almost every week, I ended up wiping the dalvik cache and the cache partition each time as required. CM7 would run flawlessly.

Then I got tired of flashing a new rom every week, so I tried just sticking to the stable cm7. Then a month or so goes by, and I get a bunch of random FC's. The difference this time, is I'm not doing any wipes. This happened to me with every stable version of cm7.

So now I'm going to try to keep doing wipes once a week, to see if that keeps things smooth. Once a week isn't too bad.

I tried the fix permissions technique without success, and I always uncheck sync contacts unless I want to manually sync my contacts.

Hope this helps.

18. Julex

Julex Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    I just started having problems today, can't use any app without FC after a few seconds. Just read on here there is a problem sometimes with sync and contacts, which I did have when I first loaded CM7. Well I realized I just set today for sync to start if connected to wifi. All I did was turn off Sync and viola no more force closes. Definitely something to look into.

19. cipher6

None

Dec 8, 2010
    GIS Admin
    South Texas
    I have this issue from time to time as well, so did my wifes phone. I fixed it last time by removing twitter and facebook... don't know why that worked but it did, worked for my wife's phone too.

A while after the problem went away I put facebook and twitter back on... and a while after that, months later, the problem came back... I'm gonna try it again and see if it works a second time.

update: Yup, removing facebook and twitter fixed the constant fc issues again... not sure why but if you haveing that problem and have facebook or twitter, try uninstalling them and see if it helps.

20. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Grad Student (Applied/Computational Math)
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had these problems as well in CM7. I figured out it was caused by the "low on space" bug (see the support section for information on that). So clearing cache and data from heavy apps clears enough space in the /data/data partition at the problem goes away.